Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Replacing a Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Default Question About Replacing a Clutch

A Guy I might buy a Mitsubishi from says the clutch don't work it needs a new one... I'm not stupid I know generally what a clutch is. I know what I have to do to fix it basically but my question is... Is it just one thing thats bad? I can go down to the autostore and get a whole clutch kit and do what ever but thats 100$... It Comes With Pressure Plate, Bearings, This that and the other thing... Do I "NEED" all of that or is there jus one 20$ piece I jus need to take out and replace?

Old 07-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned
Default RE: Question About Replacing a Clutch

No, when you replace a clutch you should reaplce the TO bearing, Pressure plate, disc, sometimes the flywheel if it has heat cracks. What is wrong with your clutch?

Old 07-22-2006, 06:58 PM

If you read it... you would already know that its not my clutch. Some guy is selling me a mitsubishi but he said it needs a new clutch. Thanks for the response tho, guess i'm better off buying the 100$ Clutch kit.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

Im more than positive a clutch kit is more than 100 bucks lol. Sorry i dont know why i said "your"

Old 07-22-2006, 07:32 PM

Its Alright Then. And I Live In Minnesota... Its Only 100$ For A Clutch Kit Minus The Flywheel But I Don't Think It'll Need A New One. I Think The Stuff Was Jus Wornout I Doubt He Used It For Any High speeds Or Powershifting To Heat crack the Flywheel

Old 07-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

Dont cheap out getting a clutch... many people make that mistake. If you are paying anything under 200 for a full clutch kit then something is up.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:53 PM

Whell I Don't know what full price is retail, but stuff is cheap where I get it. Its good to have friends for emplyee discounts and stuff. But Autozone is the only place nearby that My other P.O.S. car can get to.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:59 PM

All I have to say is, Autozone equals problems down the road. Everything that I had ever gotten from autozone later caused me problems later on. Just like Sabba said don't go cheap on a clutch kit.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: N/Teclipse

All I have to say is, Autozone equals problems down the road. Everything that I had ever gotten from autozone later caused me problems later on.
Let me clarify...you can buy your anitfreeze, spark plugs and other NAME BRAND items and be just fine. When it says DuraLast or AutoZone on the box, it's likely a piece of **** and you will end up upgrading to a NAPA or name brand part in a very short time. My dad tried telling me this for about 20 years before I finally believed him. All their parts are made in the caves and treehouses of Peru. Well, not really, but you get the idea. If you have an Advance Auto, it'll be the same deal.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

IMO you should get an upgraded clutch while you need a new one. It will cost alittle more but you wont need a new one for a while with it. If you get a cheap one youll end up having to buy a new one three times before you need to replace a good clutch. Id go with either ACT or Clutchmasters. They are both good. I know everyone on here is gonna say ACT 2600 anyway but clutchmasters does make good clutches as well. When you do replace the clutch you WILL have to have the flywheel machined. But that should be all.