Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Speedometer is not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Default Speedometer is not working

Hi All,

I was just wondering if I can get useful feedback to my problem with my 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage 4 door DE here.
My speedometer is not working. I was driving with medium speed and suddenly it went down to zero, along with the odometer. I took it to one mechanic who said that he could not test the 3 sensors I have because one of the gears was broken. So he said he needs to fix the gear first which was $40/part + $76/labor and then see if the problem is with the sensors which each one costs (acc. to him) $120. He added that the whole speedometer, although unlikely, might need to be replaced too which costs $450+labor which he will tell after fixing the gear of course.
So then I took it to another mechanic who said gears and the sensors look fine and he thinks the whole speedometer needs to be replaced but I am not sure whether he really checked the whole thing, so he left me with questions. He said no matter what he did he couldn't make it turn back on.
I want to take it to another mechanic to double check because I didn't trust the 2nd guy. Anyone with any thoughts? As I was planning to sell this car I got this problem and I really don't want to get a new speedometer and spend that much money.
I got close to 169000 mileage on the car. Does this multi-step process make sense to anyone here? Thanks a lot in advance...

Jon

Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 PM

Did you do anything to it?
Does the rest of the cluster work?
did you ever get the rpm reading gear on the tranny replaced?
Many factors, but in my experience it's kinda hard for the cluster itself to fail, go take it for a 3rd opinion and get back to us with diagnostics

Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kaede.Noir
Did you do anything to it?
Does the rest of the cluster work?
did you ever get the rpm reading gear on the tranny replaced?
Many factors, but in my experience it's kinda hard for the cluster itself to fail, go take it for a 3rd opinion and get back to us with diagnostics
Hey,

Thank you for your reply. No I did not do anything yet. Yes I will take it to a third one tomorrow and then decide what to do. The rest of the cluster seems fine, I mean other meters and all. No I did not get any rpm readings I mean maybe the 1st guy did. He said that the gear connected to the speedometer is broken and there is no problem with the transmission. But he can't get to the sensors and decide yet. I don't know what to believe yet. We'll see..

Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Hi,

The 3rd mechanic said that he was able to test the sensors which he found fine. They are picking up/sending signals. He also said that the gears are fine too and did not understand why the other guy said that.!
He concluded that the problem is with the cluster (the speedometer head). He is trying to find a cheap one for me. Does anyone have any idea about how much it would roughly cost? Not necessarily looking for the best one..
Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 PM

Junkyard man, that's what comes on top of my head... cheap, but i dunno if you could get in probs with the ODO though

Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 AM

You mean the odometer may still not work? But the head will be different so it should right?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:47 AM

Please make a thread rather than just slapping your question on another.

Last edited by Sebba; 05-13-2013 at 04:12 PM.