Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

Speedometer Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Default Speedometer Not Working

Hi All,

I was just wondering if I can get useful feedback to my problem with my 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage 4 door DE here.
My speedometer is not working. I was driving with medium speed and suddenly it went down to zero, along with the odometer. I took it to one mechanic who said that he could not test the 3 sensors I have because one of the gears was broken. So he said he needs to fix the gear first which was $40/part + $76/labor and then see if the problem is with the sensors which each one costs (acc. to him) $120. He added that the whole speedometer, although unlikely, might need to be replaced too which costs $450+labor which he will tell after fixing the gear of course.
So then I took it to another mechanic who said gears and the sensors look fine and he thinks the whole speedometer needs to be replaced but I am not sure whether he really checked the whole thing, so he left me with questions. He said no matter what he did he couldn't make it turn back on.
I want to take it to another mechanic to double check because I didn't trust the 2nd guy. Anyone with any thoughts? As I was planning to sell this car I got this problem and I really don't want to get a new speedometer and spend that much money.
I got close to 169000 mileage on the car. Does this multi-step process make sense to anyone here? Thanks a lot in advance...

Jon