Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Angry Starting problem

I just bought a used 1996 Montero SR, 3.5 V-6, auto tranny.

The previous owner told me that in order to get it started, for the starter to work, now I'm SERIOUS, you need to turn the ignition to the start position and at the same time hit the door lock switch. If your timing is off it won't work, so, most of the time it takes several (frustrating) tries. It has a key-less system.

Any ideas? Is there a connection between the starting and door locking system?

This is driving me crazy.

Thank you in advance,
Gary

Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 PM

The only way they could be connected is if the veh has an aftermarket security sustem, and I am not sure how it could affect the starting. The starters on that model are bad about getting oil in them from a leaking cam plug on the back of the head. Have you tried to move the shifter to "N" and try it.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Default Re: Starting problem

First of all, thank you for replying MitsMaster.

I tried to start it in "N", same thing. It's not the starter because when you do it right, the starter will crank it right up. It does have an alarm system, but, it's the door lock/unlock switch that makes it work. I know, this is crazy.

It's got a crappy engine, but, it would be nice to be able to at least start it .

Thanks again,
Gary

Last edited by GACosta50; 03-12-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Thank you mmsa2.

Do you have any idea how I would go about doing this? I don't see any wiring or anything in the engine compartment that looks like it doesn't belong or was added on, outside of the speaker for the alarm which is located by the radiator.

Thank you.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:09 PM

If you have a speaker for an alarm under the hood your veh probably had an alarm at one time, The factory securty system toots a horn when activated and arms and disarms by turning the key in the door. Look under the dash at the bundle of wire that run to the ign switch, If im right the a/mkt alarm module will be patched into the black with yellow tracer wire. If you see this, snip off the wires from the alarm and put the original Blk/yel wire back together.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM

I couldn't find the splice. Maybe it's me. The only wire that looks somewhat "out of place", is a red wire that starts in the harness near the steering wheel under the top cover of the steering column, between the dash and steering wheel, but, where it goes into the harness (electrical tape really) it looks like it's original.

It then goes under the left side kick panel.

I guess I just need to take it in when I can.

Thank you very much, your help is greatly appreciated.
Gary