Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

stock BOV trick

Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Default stock BOV trick

I have a 97 gst spyder.A friend once told me there was a way to make the stock BOV work like an aftermarket one w/ the sound and stuff. He said to remove the hose that goes from the BOV to the intake and then seal the hole on the intake. When i tried this, it does work and sounds amazing. But when i took it for a drive, it would loose boost at 3000 rpm and pretty much die down. Has anyone ever heard of this trick, and if so, do you know why it does this and if its possible to make work w/out puttin money into it? i love the sound it makes...but maybe the spring in the BOV is to weak and causes it to leak at 3000 rpm...idk. but if you have answers, please help! thanks.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned
Default RE: stock BOV trick

Yes i have heard of it. I will tell you right now to never listen to anything this person tells you again. Do a little search for "venting" and you will see why its bad. There is a write up on here about it i believe.

Heres why: You see that little black box that is in front of the intake tube? That is what determines how much air is going to be entered into the intake. Now, it thinks that that tube is always connected, so it expects that little extra amount of air to be there. When its not, you get not enough air, an too much fuel = running rich. This will cause stumbling, crappy shifts, and perhaps dieing at stop lights.

Do yourself a favor, slap your friend, and stick around here : )

By the way, the stock blow off valve is a piece of **** anyways. My advice is to buy a Greddy Type RS + a recirculation kit.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Default RE: stock BOV trick

haha. yeah that makes sense. thanks.