Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Thank you all for your help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Default Thank you all for your help

Thank you to everyone who gave me Ideas on what could possibley be wrong with me car. I was able to find a mechanic that could tell me what was wrong. It is called crank walking. it is when the crank saft sensor is not sensing the shaft because it is walking when the car gets hot and when the clutch is depressed it pushes the crank shaft to far away from the sensor causing it to die. Thank you for all your help. I hope I explained it well enough for you to understand what is wrong and sory if I didn't.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:27 AM
pc
Default RE: Thank you all for your help

I guess you mean the crank is pushed from back to front in a linear direction as the clutch is depressed. So what was the fix? Did you need a bearing replaced?

Old 06-29-2005, 12:08 AM

Well my problem was so bad the only way to fix it is to replace my whole engine because it bored a hole into it according to the mechanic.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 AM
pc

Stephmar, I think that if the crank bearings were worn so much that they allowed the crank to move out of position to such an extent that the crank sensor could not pick up the signal then you must have been getting other signs of crank bearing problems??? Unless the width of the sensor is so narrow that any movement puts it out of position?? Did you get any engine noise when accelerating or going up hill? I would think that bearings worn this much would produce other signs of bearing wear. A good test for you to check the mechanic's diagnosis would be to have a friend depress the clutch then have someone use a pry bar to push on the end of the crank pulley and see if it moves from front to rear. Then release the clutch and see if the pulley moves forward. If you can see significant movement then indeed you need a bottom end rebuild. I just hold a good deal of caution before I take the word of a mechanic unless I know I can trust him. One more opinion may not hurt. Did the mechanic offer to buy your car as is?

Old 06-29-2005, 02:15 PM

no the mechanic did not offer to buy me car. He showed me that the crank moves about a centimeter while the car is cold and moves about an inch and a half when the car hits the right engine temp. When I depess the clutch the is a loud clicking noise and within about 20 second the car dies. If it is happening while the car is moving it will first sputter a bit, backfire and then die. But yes there is movement going on with the cranck shaft that is not supposed to be happening even if the clutch is not pressed and the car is off. He said that he could do a complete bottom rebuild but it would be cheaper in the long run if I just replaced the whole engine, which I agree, yes it is more expensive to get a whole new engine but it eliminates the problem of the top end ever going out.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM
pc

Ok Stephmar, I just can't picture a crankshaft moving an inch and a half in a front/back direction without other problems. It would almost fall out. I guess I misunderstood the direction of drift as the mechanic calls it. Sounds like it turns in a circular motion from 1cm to 1 inch and half. If your sensor pickup is located on the harmonic balancer then the harmaonic balancer could be bad, not the bottom end. I googled and could not find stalling associated with the failure of a harmonic balancer though. The harmonic balancer is part of the crank pulley and the crank position sensor picks up from the crank pulley position. If it is associated with the harmonic balancer that would be an inexpensive replacement and fix.