Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Transfer Case Empty after Transmission Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 11:43 PM
Default Transfer Case Empty after Transmission Replacement

The dealer replaced the transmission under warranty in my AWD 2015 Outlander Sport in June of this year. The car just ticked over 60k miles in November meaning that the transfer case oil drain and fill service is due. I called the dealer yesterday and asked if the transfer case fluid change was done as part of the transmission replacement - "no sir" he replied. I said thanks and hung up. I was a little puzzled about that answer and should have inquired further but didn't - I figured if them unbolting the tranny from the transfer case didn't result in a loss of oil then it must be a sealed unit (is it?). So today I drained the transfer case and to my horror got maybe 2 tablespoons of oil out. There should have been 17 fluid ounces (US) or a little over a US pint. So what happened here? You could eat off the underside of this vehicle - absolutely no evidence of any leaks, ever. If the oil was lost during the transmission swap and not refilled I want to call the dealer on Monday armed with that information. If the unit is completely sealed then I guess I can't hold them accountable. We've driven the vehicle about 8k miles, in front wheel drive only, since the transmission replacement. Anyone have any thoughts on what, if any, damage has been done to the transfer case?