Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Default Transmission problem

Hi all!

I am in desperate need of help concerning my transmission. This is kind of long so bear with me please.
I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES.
I was driving along the highway when out of nowhere the car starts jerking really hard as it switched gears and the service engine light came on.
So I pulled off to a service station and they said the speed sensor was faulty and they changed it for me.
It drove fine for a few weeks then it started doing the same thing again. I took it back to the service station and was told they couldn't find anything wrong with it and when they disconnected and reconnected the battery it drove fine for them.
So I picked the car up again and lo and behold after driving it for a week it acts up again.
This time I decided to take it to a transmission shop. I received the same results, the problem stops when the battery is disconnected and reconnected so I was told they couldn't diagnosis it for me.
At that point I was so incredibly confused cause I know next to nothing about cars.
The car drove fine again for about a month before the problem repeated itself.
So I finally took it to the Mitsubishi dealership repair shop to see if there was anything they could do.
They looked at it and said the transmission was gunked up and needed to be flushed.
After this the car drove fine for a good while before it started to act up again.
I am completly at my wits end with this and I'm getting to the point where I can't keep shoveling money out for these expensive "diagnostics" when the problem is never really fixed.
Has someone experienced the same problem? Or at least is there someone who can make any type of recommendation as to what the problem could be?
The Mitsubishi repair shop said that my car's computer and transmission computer didn't seem to be the problem and that the wiring seems to be fine. So I'm so desperate for some sort of help before I give up completly. Thanks in advance

Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmission problem

Does the check engine light keep coming back on?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 PM

Yes it does. Also, at the transmission repair shop they said it didn't have any codes. Whatever that means.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Well that shop is feeding you crap, if the cel light is on there is gonna be a diagnostic trouble code.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 PM

The transmission shop may have meant that they didn't pull up any transmission codes. If it's a manual tranny, then there won't be any codes for the tranny...specifically. Since a manual tranny isn't associated with a computer but the ECU that controls the motor via sensors.
I recommend taking your car to Autozone or the likes and get the ECU codes pulled for free. I would also look around your motor for any sensors that could have been vibrated out or have worn wires/plugs.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 PM

I took it to Autozone this morning and he pulled the codes.This is what he wrote out for me "Input/turbine speed sensor. A circuit malfunction." So I think I will take the car to he dealership and show them this, hopefully I can finally get it fixed without it costing an arm and a leg.Thanks so much

Edit: What I'm also really confused about is that it's showing the code for the input sensor again. I thought I had tha problem fixed already *sigh*

Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM

That is odd that you had it "replaced" and it keeps coming back. There could be a wire shorting out and causing the sensor to keep going bad.
That sensor really isn't that hard to replace. It's a matter of pulling the molex plug, using your socket and rachet to get to the bolt and pulling it out. BUT DON'T DROP THE BOLT as it can be hard to find later. lol Have the shop that pulls the sensor to show you the old one. Mark your old one somehow so that you can see whether or not they actually changed it. Don't use a marker either, use a scribe or knife. It sounds sad that I can even suggest to mark it, but you'd be surprised on how legit shops can be shady.

I forgot to mention that the sensor may not be actually going bad, but the ECU could be bad causing the fault code.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Just updating. I took it to AAMCO and they looked over it thoroughly and still can't pinpoint the problem. The only thing I have been told is that the last ditch option would be to replace the transmission which I refuse to do if its not 100% certain that this would solve my problem. I am done with it, this is costing me too much money not to have the problem solved,I've decided to get a new car.