Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Default Troubleshooting help please

I'm sorry if this us the wrong area to post this, but I have a 1995 eclipse non turbo 2.0 five speed, manufacturing date us july 1994. I was driving down the road and the engine completely died without warning. Its not firing and I had found out it had a bad battery, but I have put a new one on. It's not firing at all but it will turn over. Can anyone at least give me some kind of lead on this because I am completely stumped. Again it will not fire, we have stuck a screw driver in the spark plug wires and held the metal to see if it was firing so I know for a fact its not. Everything else seems fine...it is spitting out exhaust but it simply won't fire. open to any suggestions...please and thank you.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:27 PM

John,

I'm curious: did it die while you were driving it? I'm wondering if the dead battery is the culprit of merely a symptom of something else. Also, you said that you "held the metal " of a screwdriver to see if it was firing? I didn't know that you could do this without getting a nasty, nasty shock and to me is unnecessary since you want it grounded to metal and not to the driver! Maybe I'm reading you wrong.

Anyway, are you certain that you're not getting spark?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Lol yes I actually held the metal to see if I got I good buzz from it firing. I tried to ground it out so i didn't have to do that but everything that I could reach was aluminum. Anyways, yes it did die without any indications of anything in the middle of me driving it. everything seems perfectly fine with it, except it just won't fire.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Although I do have an 1800 watt amp and two 12 subs in it, but ad soon as my car died like that I turned the amp off and un-installed the on/off switch for it also just to cut off any wasted energy. Could the alternator be the problem here? The coil pack I have ruled out by having it tested by advanced. I am positive its not firing though..

Old 04-01-2011, 05:41 PM

You know, John, it could be your alternator. I know around here Advance Auto and similar places will test your alternator for free; it might be worth your while to have that done. At the very least it will eliminate one area of concern.

Just up and dying like that seems more electrical than gas to me. Maybe your rolling disco is using too much juice, or isn't grounded properly. Was this professionally done or was it done out behind a kegger on a Saturday night?

Let us know anything else you've discovered since...

Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 AM

We got it fixed, turned out to be the crank position sensor. Took me like twenty minutes to fix it :/

Old 04-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Great news! I didn't realize that that would make your vehicle absolutely die.

Glad you're back on the road.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM

My son's 2001 Eclipse just died while driving. no spark. I've seen this on other cars. I'm going right for the crank sensor. Just glad this forum is here to take me from 60% sure to 90 %.