Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unseated Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Default Unseated Torque Converter

I bought a 92 Eclipse GS from a friend but it was in parts. He said that it needed a new tranny because it couldn't shift into 3rd. Oh yeah its automatic. A friend replaced it but still had the same problem. Come to find out that after some research it was the ECU. I bought for $150 but like I said, it was in pieces. The manual called for the converter to spin and fall in then fall again after turning it some more. Well after painstakingly installing everything from CV joints to shifter brackets I got it to start. And it started making a grinding noise and I tried to put it into gear and would not go anywhere. Now I'm starting to think that I didn't seat the converter in right. Will it not seated right do this? Please can anyone help me? I'm tired of sharing a car with my wife and I want my own.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Default RE: Unseated Torque Converter

You would NEVER be able to bolt the trans and engine together if the torque converter was not seated in the transmission front pump. There wouldn't be any room. Not only that, it would be leaking ATF all over the place. You'll need a bit more diagnostics on this one.

Good Luck!

Joel, CA

Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Default RE: Unseated Torque Converter

Thanks alot for letting me know that cause I was gonna tear down try to seat it in and do it all over again. I was thinkning that maybe some of the wires that were on there should be reconnected. I had a hard time trying to figure it out so I just cranked without applying wire like to one to kickdown servo switch and some other wire but other than that all of the other connectors are all right. Sounds like there isn't enough compression and doesn't want to move when put into gear. I think that I missed something somewhere. I also have to say that this car was a mechnics nightmare trying to figure out where the other had left off and trying to fix his ****up.