Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Default Water pump?

alright.. i know this is gonna sound stupid... but i've never worked on a mitsubishi before... but where is the water pump on a 90 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS? mine's shot and i gotta replace it... THanks

Old 12-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Water pump?

Your water pump is either driven by or located under the timing belt. I'd recommend since you'll be digging in this far anyways replacing the timing belt at the same time.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:00 PM

yay!!! more money to spend that i don't have!!!!!.... hanvn't done this type of thing before!!! lol...thanks for ur help!

Old 12-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

LOL the timing belt shouldn't be THAT expensive. Either way it's just a good idea to change it at the same time. If you need it I can type up the removal and installation proceedure for the water pump as the Haynes manual has it.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:56 PM

dude.. if u could do that it be a great help!!!! accidently left mine down at school so i don't have anything to go by... do i need to support the motor at all????seems like the only thing i can do to get to it is remove that one support...thanks!

Old 12-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

*WARNING WARNING* Extended post to follow *WARNING WARNING*

Water pump removal and installation:
Removal:
1.) Disconnect cable from Negative terminal of the battery.

2.) Drain the cooling system. If the coolant is reletively new or in good condition, save it and reuse it.

3.) Remove the bolts from the power steering pump bracket. DO NOT disconnect the fluid lines. Set the power steering pump out of the way.

4.) Remove the timing belt cover(s).

5.) Remove the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley.

6.) Remove water pump mounting bolts and detach water pump from the engine. (Note positions of all bolts for reinstallation).

Installation

7.) Clean the bolt threads and the threaded holes in the engine to remove corrosion and sealant. Remove all traces of old gasket material from the sealing surfaces.

8.) Compare the new pump to the old one to make sure they are identical.

9.) Apply a thin film of RTV sealant to the new gasket and install it on the pump.

10.) Carefully mate the pump to the engine.

11.) Install teh bolts. Tighten them to the torque listed in this chapters' specifications. Don't overtighten them or the pump may be damaged. (Specs: Short bolts 108-132 in-lbs long bolts 14-20)

12.) Reinstall all parts removed to access the pump.

13.) Refill the cooling stsem and check timing belt tension. Run the engine and check for leaks.

Hope this helps. If you need any other sections (I.E. the timing belt removal and reinstallation section) let me know and I'll type it out too.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:32 PM

yeah if u could type up the directions for removing the timing belt that would help too!!! thanks!!!

Old 12-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

I need to know which engine you have. The 2.0 or the 1.8?

Old 12-23-2005, 02:54 PM

Old 12-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

I thought so... All right be prepared next post will have the timing belt info. Typing it up now.

Quick Reply: Water pump?