Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Default RE: Water pump?

k..thanks!

Old 12-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Dude you SOOOOO owe me one. You'll know EXACTLY why when you see the writeup I'm bangin out on this for yer @$$.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:35 PM

i appreciate it man!!! lol.... right now i don't have a car that works so its helpin me out a lot!

Old 12-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

I actually have this forum up in 2 windows one that I'm posting in and the other I'm bangin out the timing belt crap in cuz I HAVE to take a break from it once in a while or I'ma go NUTS lol. I think I'm gettin carpel tunnel syndrome... LOL...

Old 12-23-2005, 03:52 PM

LOL...well at least ur helpin and not being a bunghole like other ppl like to be sometimes!!! lol

Old 12-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

LOL well take a look at it. I always try to help. Read my previous posts and look at the advise I give when people ask questions. The whole resaon for the forums is to help and discuss things

Old 12-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

**WARNING WARNING** LONG POST AHEAD **WARNING WARNING**

TIMING BELT, BALANCE SHAFT BLET AND SPROCKETS - Removal, inspection and installation.

REMOVAL

CAUTION: Do NOT try to turn the crankshaft with the camshaft sprocket bolt and do not rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise. Also don't turn the crankshaft or camshaft after the timing belt has been removed.

1.) Position the number 1 piston at TDC (Top Dead Center).

2.) Disconnect the battery cable from the negative terminal.

3.) Remove the air cleaner assembly and associated hoses.

4.) Set the parking brake and block the rear wheels. Rais the front of the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.

5.) Remove the left engine mount and bracket. NOTE: Make sure the engine is supported with a piece of wood and a floor jack placed under the oil pan. The wood will prevent the floor jack from denting or damaging the oil pan.

MAIN TIMING BELT

6.) Be sure to support the engine with a block of wood placed between the floor jack and teh engine oil pan.

7.) Remove the clamp and bracket for the power steering pressure hose (If equipped) and the clamp for the air conditioning hose, if equipped.

8.) Remove the drivebelts and the tensioner pulley bracket.

9.) Remove the tensioner pulley assembly.

10.) Remove the splash pan from beneath the drivebelt end of the engine.

11.) Remove the water pump pulleys. NOTE: The smaller of the two pulleys runs the power steering pump.

12.) Loosen the large crankshaft sprocket bolt in the center of the crankshaft pulley. It might be very tight, so, to break it loose, wrap a rag around the pulley and attach a chain wrench. Slip a 1/2-inch drive extension through the hole in the fender and into the sprocket bolt head. Turn the extension with a breaker bar. If you are unable to loosen the bolt due to the chain wrench slipping, you can prevent the crankshaft from turning by having an assistant wedge a flat-blade screwdriver in the flywheel/driveplate ring gear teeth.To do this you must first remove the flywheel/driveplate cover. Next, remove the bolts and remove the crankshaft pulley.

13.) Remove the retaining bolts from the upper and lower timingbelt covers and remove the covers and gaskets.

14.) Remove the two bolts and lift off the automatic tensioner.

15.) Make a mark on the timing belt in the direction of rotation so it may be reinstalled in the same direction in the event the timing belt is reused. Remove the tensioner arm bolts and the tensioner, then remove the timing belt. CAUTION: Be sure the timing marks are correctly aligned before removing the timing belt. (I would also if you have the $ to spare consider replacing the tensioner as it IS a spring and springs WILL wear out eventually again something to consider since you're already in there and tearing everything apart).

BALANCE SHAFT BELT

31.) If you are planning to install the same belt, mark the direction of rotation on the belt. If you're planning to remove the balance shaft sprocket, loosen the bolt before you remove the belt. Be sure the alignment marks are positioned correctly before removing the belt.

INSTALLATION

35.) Reinstall the timing belt sprockets, if they were removed. Tighten the bolts to the values listed. NOTE: Be sure to properly install the spacer under the balance shaft sprocket. The chamfered edge must face toward the oil seal. (I'll list the values at the end of the writeup).

BALANCE SHAFT BELT

36.) Install the balance shaft belt. Be sure the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket and the balance shaft sprocket are aligned properly.

37.) After installing the balance shaft belt, make sure the tension side has no slack.

38.) Make sure the tension sprocket for the balance shaft belt has the center located just to the left side of the mounting bolt with the pulley directed to the front of the engine. Lift the tensioner up with one finger to tighten the belt and tighten the tensioner bolt and balance shaft bolt to the torque listed in the specifications. NOTE: Use you index finger and press firmlyon the timing belt. The belt deflection should be 1/4 inch.

MAIN TIMING BELT

39.) Align the timing mark located on the camshaft, crankshaft, and oil pump sprockets. When aligning the oil pump sprocket marks, it is critical that the balance shaft has teh weighted portion at the bottom of the shaft. Before installing the timing belt, slightly rock the oil pump sprocket by hand and watch that the sprocket has the tendancy to remain stationary (Return to approximately the marks aligned position)when the sprocket is rotated. This means the sprocket is CORRECTLY timed. If the sprocket has a tendancy to rotate clockwise when spun lightly, the shaft is INCORRECTLY timed.

40.) Prepare the automatic tensioner for installation. Place the tensioner in a vice that is equipped with soft jaws(or put a shop rag over the jaws to prevent damage to the tensioner). If the rod is easily retracted, replace it with a new unit. Once the tensioner is compressed place a small allen wrench or something similar through the hole to keep the rod retracted for reassembly on the engine.

41.) Install the automatic tensioner onto the engine, keeping it in the compressed position.

42.) Install the tensioner pulley onto the tensioner arm. Position the two small holes in the tensioner pulley hub just to the left of the center bolt. Tighten the center bolt finger tight. Don't remove the allen wrench from the tensioner yet.

43.) Turn the 2 camshaft sprockets until the dowel pins are located at the top. Then align the timing marks facing each other with the upper surface of the cylinder head. NOTE: When the exhaust camshaft is released, it will tend to rotate 1 tooth in the counterclockwise direction. This shift must be taken into account when reinstalling the timing belt onto the sprockets. Also, the camshaft sprockets are identical and are provided with 2 timing marks. When the sprocket is mounted on the exhaust camshaft, use the timing mark on the right with the dowel pin hole on the top.

44.) Align the crankshaft sprocket timing mark and the oil pump sprocket timing mark with thier pointers.

45.) Remove the plug on the side of the blockand insert a phillips screwdriver or a long punch through the hole. If the tool CAN be inserted as deep as 2 1/2-inches or more, the timing marks are aligned correctly. If the tool CANNOT be inserted more than 1-inch, the oil pump sprocket must be reset. When it's positioned properly reinstall the screwdriver and keep it there until the timing belt is installed.

46.) Install the timing belt in the following sequence:
a) Install the timing belt around the tensioner pulley and crankshaft sprocket and hold the timing belt to the tensioner with your left hand.
b) Pulling the belt with your right hand, install it around the oil pump sprocket.
c) Install the belt around the idler puller.
d) Install the belt around the intake canshaft sprocket.
e) Turn the exhaust camshaft sprocket 1 tooth to align it's timing mark with the upper surface of the cylinder head. Pull the belt with both hands and install it around the exhaust camshaft.
f) Gently raise the tensioner pulley so the belt does not sag, then temporarily tighten the center bolt.

47.) Adjust the timing belt tension in the following sequence:
a) Turn the crankshaft 1/4 turn counterclockwise, then clockwise to move the number 1 cylinder to TDC.
b) Loosen the tensioner center bolt and attach Mitsubishi special tool no. MD998752 (or equivilant) to a torque wrench. NOTE: Torque wrench must be capable of measuring s

Old 12-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Now here are your torque specs that were called for throughout the procedure.

Balance shaft belt tensioner bolt 132-192 In-lbs.
Balance shaft sprocket nut 31-35 ft-lbs.
Timing belt tensioner mounting bolts 14-20 Ft-lbs.
Timing belt tensioner pulley bolt/nut 31-40
Timing belt cover bolts 84-108 In-lbs.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:38 PM

aight...thanks man!!!!! i appreciate it a lot!!!!

Old 12-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

No problem good luck man.

Quick Reply: Water pump?