Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Crankwalk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:47 AM
Default What is Crankwalk?

Hey Everyone... I'm a new member and new owner of a 97 Eclipse Spyder GST... I hear a lot of talk about Crankwalk??? anybody care to explain to me what i might look for incase my car is suffering from this deadly disease. Man crankwalk is a horrible sounding name... The other thing I was wondering was if anybody has used a compustar alarm as a turbo timer.... do they work well enough??
Thanks in advance,
Shaun

Old 07-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Default RE: What is Crankwalk?

Welcome Shaun.
First I'll say to search as this topic has been asked before in here and it's also all over the net. DSMs have suffered from this before and there are a lot of info all over the place. The search feature is shown in the pic below. Not to mention it shows the word "crankwalk" being searched...by me. What it doesn't show is that there are 15 pages of info on it.
[IMG]local://upfiles/10268/41ED1936C9754CEEA0D9E2D1E848DCD0.jpg[/IMG]

Next I'll tell you that crankwalk is exactly what it sounds like. The crank is able to "walk" around in the block. Meaning, there's enough movement that it throws off it's precise circular movement. That's crankwalk in a nutshell.
Finally, I'll back that up with internet info, starting with info in here...
Crankwalk search from Mitsu Forums.
Next is a google search which came up with Road Racing Engineering (one to keep in mind because they will be very helpful to you in more ways than shopping).
- http://www.roadraceengineering.com/w...crankshaft.htm
another..
- http://www.overbore.com/index.php?go=Define.CrankWalk
That should get you started.
One last thing. There are a good deal of frequently asked questions in the Eclipse forum, right above the 1st gen forum...check it out and don't forget to search...then ask if you still don't have a clear answer.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 AM

I'm going to answer this post because i know someone is probilly going to answer you rudely saying " use the search option". Then you'll be discouraged and feel ridculed, and never want to post anything here again.

With that being said, crankwalk is any movement of the crankshaft ( the shaft located on the bottom of the engine block, that circulates your pistons to power the engine) that is not rotational. Meaning, if your crankshaft moves in it's housing, this throws all of your internals off linning. More so, it grinds on the thrust bearing heavily, which in turn moves the plate, that crushes your crank angle sensor, shutting down the engine.

Dsm' have a horrible reputation for crankwalk. particularly, the second gen, eclipse. (7 bolt)
Their are many theories on why they are prone to crankwalk, but that's another time.
regardless, you should maintain a keen eye on your engine, and keep up with maintnence , as perfect as possible. giving you the most odds agaisnt such a problem

hope you learned something, and dont be afraid to ask questions. were here to help.

Gus

Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 AM

Hey, I wasn't rude...I don't think?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 PM

What is Crankwalk?...... It is bad.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM

lol. i'm sorry silvercoupe. you probilly were typing your answer as i was, because i didn't see anyone answer previously. I had no idea you had already responded. I apoligise.

just a misunderstanding.

usually someone answers questions like this rudely, that why i said that. lol

Gus

Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM

lol. notice the times the post were made, five minute spand.

what a coincedence.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Banned

Dorian you **** stick

[/align]

Old 07-19-2007, 04:04 AM

Hey Silvercoupe and compEVO... thanks for the info and the links. I personally didn't find any of the response's rude, acutally I found them tobe kind and outwardly friendly. I will not be afraid to post again... and I hope this message finds you guys having a good day.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Banned

Ofcourse! We are always happy....