1999 Galant sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Default RE: 1999 Galant sparkplugs

Lol, No, I've never built a turbo kit, I bought one and slapped it on. If I am wrong on something, then I will gladly correct my fault. Sure, I could learn a few things more, and I never claimed to be an expert in anything, but my main point was why were you telling him to get a different heat range than stock in the first place? He didn't say he was having problems, just wanted to change plugs.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 AM

ORIGINAL: DryBear

Lol, No, I've never built a turbo kit, I bought one and slapped it on. If I am wrong on something, then I will gladly correct my fault. Sure, I could learn a few things more, and I never claimed to be an expert in anything, but my main point was why were you telling him to get a different heat range than stock in the first place? He didn't say he was having problems, just wanted to change plugs.

well he did say ...
My mistake I miss read his post
so my guess is he had the wrong idea of the question that was at hand in the origanal post ya know

Old 02-01-2006, 03:05 PM

True, but he sounded real defensive when he came back with:
On the other hand why don't you explain to me master tech why a hotter plug doesn't lean the car out?
Oh, well, I hope the original poster got the help that he needed.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: DryBear

True, but he sounded real defensive when he came back with:
On the other hand why don't you explain to me master tech why a hotter plug doesn't lean the car out?
Oh, well, I hope the original poster got the help that he needed.
I hope so im not sure he ever even came back to look

Old 02-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Banned

Because I am sick of people like your self coming on and giving miss information. You can and most people that know a thing or two will put a 1 to 2 range hotter plug in a N/A motor. That combined with a few other mods can help you gain some power. Like I said I miss read his post and thought he was looking how to lean put his car alittle.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:41 PM

How was I giving mis-information by telling him to "go with the recommended plugs as listed in the back of the owners manual"? Okay, you misread his post, but it sounded like you got butt-hurt or something by my question of "Why should he want to lean it out/run a hotter plug?" which was not meant as a stab at you. I mean really, some people can get touchy.

Yes, I haven't heard about putting in a hotter plug to gain power - do you have any sources that I can check out? I'm not trying to discredit you as you were apparently trying to discredit me , so please, educate us.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Banned

Your miss information was saying the only way to lean out a car was

"Air/Fuel ratios are not controlled by the spark plug type, but the ECU (along with any piggyback device if present). Putting in a hotter plug than stock would cause pre-ignition and possible damage to the engine."
What is your source there??? Lets make a list of what else will lean out a car.

Air Intake
Exhaust
Adjusting Timing
Changing you plugs

Those are just the basics. How a hotter plug changes the AFR....A hotter plug burns hotter which ends up burning more fuel in the combustion chamber. That gives you a leaner burn. Hence is why forced induction motors call for colder plugs. Reduce the heat and chance to pre ignite, that will give you a richer burn. This is just regular practice among tuners/hott rodders, which is seems to me you have NO background in. If this isn't enough for you then thats just your own ignorance.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Banned

That concludes NewEnglandSpeeds Basic Tuning 101

DryBear Im not trying to discredit you, just to help you out and other.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:17 AM

Lets make a list of what else will lean out a car.

Air Intake
Exhaust
Adjusting Timing
Changing you plugs

Those are just the basics. How a hotter plug changes the AFR....A hotter plug burns hotter which ends up burning more fuel in the combustion chamber. That gives you a leaner burn. Hence is why forced induction motors call for colder plugs. Reduce the heat and chance to pre ignite, that will give you a richer burn. This is just regular practice among tuners/hott rodders, which is seems to me you have NO background in. If this isn't enough for you then thats just your own ignorance.
You are correct, I have no hot rodding background, just basic mechanical knowledge. My original statements were what I thought to be correct, from general research, but I know I have a lot more to learn. your last response above was the kind of response I was looking for in the first place. However, I still stand by my original feeling that I wasn't steering the original poster wrong by recommending standard plugs

Old 02-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

I never ment that point was off. Ok then its settled