Mitsubishi dragging feet on warranty claim for CVT. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 09:20 PM
Default Mitsubishi dragging feet on warranty claim for CVT. Advice?

Hi
My daughter's 2017 SE with the CVT has 86,000KM. It started to have transmission issues - surging - loss of power etc. Took it to the dealer - it wouldn't back out of the parking lot for them. Needs a new CVT. This was 11 days ago. The dealer said Mitsu might not approve it under warranty as it wasn't properly maintained - the tranny wasn't ever serviced by a dealer - at least not by the records. She is the recent 3rd owner. Now Mitsu wants the dealer to take the tranny out and apart and send them pictures to inspect. Dealer has no idea if they will eventually cover a new tranny or how long this is going to take.

I almost feel like Mitsu is holding it and us hostage. Thankfully I have a car I can loan her.

Is it common for things to drag on like this? Can Mitsu simply drag this process out without at some point "owing" her compensation?

I know it would have been best if the Tranny was dealer maintained but surely this lack of attention wouldn't crater a tranny so quickly. To me this is a problem CVT - I've read the service bulletins and the class action law suit against Mitsu in California. Wish I had known this before recommending this car to her.

Just sit and wait for this to all play out? - or is there anything I can do to make sure Mitsu lives up to its claim of producing a quality product "Carrying the best backed cars in the world" - ya what a joke. I will NEVER recommend a Mitsu to anyone every again. Makes me sad that I recommended it to my daughter as what I thought would be a good reliable car. Live and learn I guess.

FYI I had a shop price out a new tranny from Mitsu - $15,000 Canadian just for the CVT - not installed - If that isn't price gouging I don't know what is. Shameful. Shop also said Mitsu won't sell them any parts so they could rebuild CVTs - Great company this is - totally focused on customer service and support.
Thanks for the help.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:21 PM

Most CVT Trannies are junk. Manufacturers look at the service records first in order to get out of a repair. Mitsubishi CVT is a bit more junky than others. Mine went at 80K. Finding a car that is not CVT is getting harder and harder. If you look at the maintenance schedule for new Mitsubishi's with 4 wheel drive, servicing the axles and related drive fluids will cost a fortune and most are not going to do it so Mitsubishi has lots of ways out of warranty repairs.

Last edited by 7 Speed; 09-11-2022 at 06:27 PM.