Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Does my car need to warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Default Does my car need to warm up?

Lately my car has been bogging down when i drive it an i have to stop but i realized something today. My car runs fine on the way to school when i let it warm up for 10 minutes but when i leave school i dont let it warm up at all and that is when it bogs down. It has never bogged down on me in the morning.

Does my car have to warm up to run regular?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

That is the case with most cars. My car will run like crap if i dont let it warm up. So ive pretty much just made a habit of doing it.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 AM

What engine MIVEC B11 2008 Lancer? if yes the B11 is temperemental like having a pms once in awhile but not everyday. It likes the engine hot especially the oil.

I have a 1999 Mitsu Mirage De Coupe and a 2008 Mitsu Lancer, they have the same problem.

If you have an RPM wait until it reach 1000 rpm and then drive your car.
because the oil is on the bottom of the engine and it's cold. if you heat up for 5 mins it rans better.

It prolong the life of the engine. Zemax oil additives and Zemax fuel additives.

You must have a clog fuel injection if warming up is not working for you.

Lucas and Zemax are good additives I tried them for years. Lucas is cheaper but Zemax little expensive use by Shelby.

goodluck

Mitsubishi allows additives on their engine Compared to Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

I read it on my 2008 owner's manual and other experiences with Japanese cars.

Last edited by FAX68; 04-08-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:57 AM

On todays car the system goes into Closed loop-(10-20 seconds)Meaning the Computer controls the AF ratio instead of a loooong warm up cycle like older vehicle had. No need to let the engine warm up, its not going to effect it in anyway it may feel weird thats just because its warming up as you drive.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Did you even read my first post blck? It doesnt just feel weird, it completly bogs down.

And i let it warm up for about 7 min now and it runs fine.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 PM

That is not normal at all; what state of tune it is in is likely the problem; plugs, wires, cap/rotor, etc; how many miles are on it, what gas station do you buy fuel at ? stay away from all B grade stations and only buy top tier like BP, Shell, Mobil, Chevron; B grade gas will leave deposits and cause problems; do you regularly add injector cleaner or ever had them cleaned, change air and fuel filters, etc.. are all important to keeping it running properly.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 AM

always warm up your engine boys! there no such thing such as "short drive" . make it a habit, warm it up. let the oil flow to the gears and be ready to battle.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:21 PM

No need to warm up any modern engine; it is designed to run properly when hot or cold; when cold the thermostat is closed so it is in closed loop and the coolant temp sensor richens the A/F ratio so it runs smoothly when cold, and sittting and idling is not needed. You have some problem with your tune, or somewhat clogged injectors, dirty MAF sensor, etc if it bogs... I would not recommend using Lucas products either; go to www.bobistheoilguy.com for test results on these additives which do more harm than good. BG products, for example, are used by professional shops to clean intakes, IAC, EGR, injectors, etc.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:42 PM

I TELLING YOU AGAIN WARM UP ESPECIALY IF YOU LIVE IN SNOW COUNTRY

Remember the oil is on the bottom of the pan it DOESN'T MATTER IF IT IS NEW ENGINE OR NOT.

Engine are like Athletes they warm up before going to a GAME. You don't just play basketball without warming up. Pretend your a baseball pitcher and your next throw is coming. You need to warm those shoulders to have a great Pitch

Listen to me and to the Super moderator

My 2008 Lancer as the same problem. sometimes it chokes when I go into gear especially 1st and 2nd gears. It is also on the 2008 owner's manual.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by newguy2007
Did you even read my first post blck? It doesnt just feel weird, it completly bogs down.

And i let it warm up for about 7 min now and it runs fine.
So this Is what I would check first Vacuum 18-21 inches are recommended.Look around your engine bay and inspect it make sure things arent where they are supposed to be...

the thing is modern cars Like I stated can take as low as 5-20 second to heat up,and up to around a min to truly heat up and go in closed loop-

Its not like my 69 chevelle take 5 mins to heat up. Now we have computer controls which does everything for us

Quick Reply: Does my car need to warm up?