Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Does my car need to warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Tell the Pilots not to warm up their planes before taking off.

You have a Thermostat on your car if you check it while warming up it will take at least 3 to 5 mins.

If you check your heater DOES IT WARM up fast when you start your engine? of course no

You have to drive the car and the temp goes up. i don't even use my HEATER during snow because the engine is very hot already and it save me Fuel.

COMPUTER IS NOT A COFFEE MAKER IT DOES NOT WARM YOUR ENGINE IT DIAGNOSE YOUR ENGINE IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS.

His engine check light was never on.

You need to buy additives to clean EFI and fuel system. it like a tune up but without changing plugs.

Last edited by FAX68; 04-16-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:39 PM

I have never had any of my vehicles bog, even in -25 F weather; Reading his post, it never bogged before, but now it does, which means there is a problem that developed. This could be a number of things related to not keeping up with routine maintenance, a small vacuum leak, using off brand gas which leaves deposits on the injectors, etc.. I would also first try an injector cleaner in the tank; might need the shop to remove clean the injectors if they are badly clogged.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by FAX68
Tell the Pilots not to warm up their planes before taking off.

You have a Thermostat on your car if you check it while warming up it will take at least 3 to 5 mins.

If you check your heater DOES IT WARM up fast when you start your engine? of course no

You have to drive the car and the temp goes up. i don't even use my HEATER during snow because the engine is very hot already and it save me Fuel.

COMPUTER IS NOT A COFFEE MAKER IT DOES NOT WARM YOUR ENGINE IT DIAGNOSE YOUR ENGINE IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS.

His engine check light was never on.

You need to buy additives to clean EFI and fuel system. it like a tune up but without changing plugs.

how do you compair coffee makers and planes to a car? lol

Im not understanding your comment because at first you make it sound as if your saying it has to warm up before you drive because you wouldnt fly a cold plane. Then you make it sound like you have to drive it cold to MAKE it warm up...

To make one thing clear though your computer does a whole lot more than just diagnose problems. If you start your car cold you will notice that the idle is higher than after it is warm. This is part of that warm up process mentioned before which IS performed by the computer.
the thermistat opens and closes based on the temp of the water. and then the sensors tell the computer it is warm and the motor doesnt need to work as hard to warm it up, therefor the idle drops back to normal.

The point is that the computer will compensate for a cold motor so that it runs saftly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just buy an auto start for your car and use your key fob to start your car while you are letting your coffee maker warm up lol.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by tangelo06
how do you compair coffee makers and planes to a car? lol

Im not understanding your comment because at first you make it sound as if your saying it has to warm up before you drive because you wouldnt fly a cold plane. Then you make it sound like you have to drive it cold to MAKE it warm up...

To make one thing clear though your computer does a whole lot more than just diagnose problems. If you start your car cold you will notice that the idle is higher than after it is warm. This is part of that warm up process mentioned before which IS performed by the computer.
the thermistat opens and closes based on the temp of the water. and then the sensors tell the computer it is warm and the motor doesnt need to work as hard to warm it up, therefor the idle drops back to normal.

The point is that the computer will compensate for a cold motor so that it runs saftly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just buy an auto start for your car and use your key fob to start your car while you are letting your coffee maker warm up lol.
Co-signed sir..FAX no offense man you might know somethings but engine performance isnt it.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:49 AM

I don't care anymore and I don't care if you don't listen.

I'm tired of people being so pessimistic,cynical and misanthropic.
Even the super moderator had a simple advise Warm your Engine.

It will not hurt you or the car only your pocket. If you don't believe us that's your problem. so much for this simple problem that making it a big deal.

For the kid who asked the question. if you believe that you need to warm your car continue doing it or have someone tune your car for you if you haven't done that.

It is your car not ours you decide.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1092432AAtUBJt

http://www.car-forums.com/s7/t7911.html

here's other forums about warming up a car. if you don't believe them you got big issues.

Last edited by FAX68; 04-17-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by FAX68
I don't care anymore and I don't care if you don't listen.

I'm tired of people being so pessimistic,cynical and misanthropic.
Even the super moderator had a simple advise Warm your Engine.

It will not hurt you or the car only your pocket. If you don't believe us that's your problem. so much for this simple problem that making it a big deal.

For the kid who asked the question. if you believe that you need to warm your car continue doing it or have someone tune your car for you if you haven't done that.

It is your car not ours you decide.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1092432AAtUBJt

http://www.car-forums.com/s7/t7911.html

here's other forums about warming up a car. if you don't believe them you got big issues.
So check this man, The super MOD did say he prefers but did not specifically say it is PROFESSIONALLY needed,I understand why he does that though.FAX your going to a whole new subject man the guy who started the thread merely asked should I or will it damage my engine, most people replied you dont have to in which they are correct, to wait those few mins is well just reassuring your motor is CLOSER to 190 F.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 PM

The advice to "just warm the engine since it bogs when cold" is not very insightful as the car obviously has a problem; unless it is a bad tank of gas which is a remote possiblilty but could be the case, it will not just get better on its own by not doing whatever maintenance is required to remedy it.