Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

intake/bov

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Default intake/bov

Well after reading for a few hours last night, and tring to post this twice...I'm left confused. I'm planning on getting an intake very soon, but short ram is the only way for me to go.....cai isn't going to work for me, especially after the last rain storm we had...I have a 97 2g GST

I've looked around and have narrowed it down to these...

JDM 55-0631PB $50?!?! is this a p.o.s. part or am i seeing things?
Injen IS1890 $222 why the big $$$ difference?
AEM 22-430R $148

Now with the bov...I never knew I had one and have never heard anything besides the turbo...I don't really want to replace it, but is there any way to make it into a dual, this way I can vent partially....love the sound...

Will a new intake change/make the sound of anything?

Old 01-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Default RE: intake/bov

well for the intake, the 55 dollar one is on ebay. which means sometimes parts wont fit b/c they are cheapely made. you get what you pay for. you'll probably hear the turbo a little more. do you have any other plans for the car as in mods?

Old 01-06-2007, 06:28 PM

the injen one is on there too....
so i guess its between aem and injen....but i don't get the decent price gap between the two if they do the same thing...

i wanna get mods that are worth the money, and not have a whole lot to add before putting the upgrade on....stock exhaust is fine by me, i mean i do like the louder exhaust, but its nott really worth it for me. new ecu chip....maybe, tinting, getting interior lights within the next week. other than that.....anything you reccomend? i'm really more of a novice, and don't have a lift so i don't have any plans for anything major...but anything that brings hp that isn't too hard to do...i'm all ears

Old 01-07-2007, 07:29 AM

Here's a good upgrade path to follow..<--just click.
As for what to buy? That's up to you really. Like 93 stated, a cheap one is a cheap one but is there really a big difference between them all? Yes, if you like your brands, lol. They are tubes with a tube welded on the side and holes big enough for the turbo and MAF, that's it.
Some of the brands leave the flash and everything rough inside, while some smooth the interior. Before buying email the company and ask questions.

That's the ebay one, see the flash and how rough it is inside? At least that one is semi smooth.

Honestly, I would stick with the stock tubing for now and just cut off the bov pipe that goes into the intake piping and buy just an adapter plate and filter, if you're worried about pricing. I'll also suggest either getting a 1G bov (that means you'll have to update/upgrade the UCIP too) or get an EVO9 bov (it's a direct bolt on for 2Gs).
Also, don't vent, you'll run rich between shifts. Venting does nothing for performance.. I only say this because you mentioned "sound" and bov in the same sentence.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 AM

thanks for the link, this site is great.

now i really feel like a newb for askin this, but doesn't the 2g eclipse have a cai? i mean i just happend to look and the intake pipe that went to the filter came through a hole in the engine compartment and looks like what would be a cai like it's set up like a cai would (right behind the right headlight, left of the air filter), but it looksstock to my knowledge. Then it seems dumb to get a short ram if its already getting colder air, and just dumb to get hot air.....

If it is, my car ismore awesome than i thought...haha imean an intercooler,bov,turbo, and possibly a cai, the only basic mod they left out was a better exhaust...if no one gets what i tried to describe, i'll have a pic tomorrow and post it.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

a cold air intake is something that it only attributed with a non turbo car. Now the reason you get an intake for a turbo car is not for the colder air, it is for the better flow. Just look at the difference from stock to injen or something, that stock one is rigid and has alot of loss, now the injen one is much smoother and allows for better air flow, then look at the filter. The stock car comes with a box, which is very restrictive while an upgrade gives you a cone filter giving much better flow in. Also once you get an intake you will hear both spool up and the BOV alot more.

Also i really advise that you get a Catback 3" exhaust when you get the money because it is well worth it, the power gain you wil get a guarentee you will enjoy.

With the aem vs. injen, its about quality of the piping and fitement, and also the longevity of the filter. I say save yourself the money in the long run and get the injen intake. BUT DO NOT get the one you posted from ebay, they dont even show a picture of the right intake pipe, and it says it comes with a BOV which is pointless. Try here
http://www.machv.com/newinin95.html
or this is a deal and all you need is a filter
click here

Old 01-11-2007, 04:59 PM

great site, i'll be getting the injen one in a week or two

is the 3" the only way to go? i really doubt it...but i've only seen the 3"

is there a dual just as good? i mean i do like the stock one, but can't say no to better performence...

Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

dual is worse. you want just a straight 3" exhaust that is all mandrel bent to be the least restrictive as posibble. once you starting getting bigger than 3" its starts being alittle overkill. So i would just go with a 3" catback, maybe a downpipe if your wallet allows

Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 PM

well for now its going to be just the intake and basic exhaust......but thanks you were alot of help!