Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Default intakes

Should i get the K&n typhoon intake or the injen intake with full intercooler piping

Old 07-29-2009, 09:53 PM

Neither. Esspecially not the K&N

Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 PM

so what you thinking

Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 PM

On the Evo you don't really want to change the intake to much but If you do want an intake you can but I would suggest just buying a filter and MAF adaptor and keeping the stock rubber intake pipe. The Stock intake with a love a drop in can handle over 400WHP

The reason why is a new intake system can screw with the MAF readings and cause the car to run rough, the idle can stumble, the afrs will be a little all over. A tune will help fix this.

For what it is worth I ran a 'home made' intake out of an injen system made for another car. We just cut it and shaped it to fit the Evo. My car was modded pretty far but it ran fine on the stock turbo and big turbo with a tune.

So if you plan to tune soon go for the injen at least. I would highly recommend that you buy a boost gauge, JDM MR BOV, MBC, and a walbro 255 fuel pump and have your car tuned. Even if it is a mail in tune from AMS or buschur.

If you follow above you will be very happy and you will see close to 100WHP gain over stock

Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 PM

yea I got the boost gauge, and i bought it with an upgraded mr bov..what was the last thing

Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 PM

Fuel pump and manual boost controller. With a fuel pump and manual controller you can raise your boost from 19 and a 16psi taper to just stay and hold 22-20 which with a tune you will feel HUGE gains with all this combined with your current mods

Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 PM

nice yea i got a boost gauge, with the mbc and the mr bov and a 3 inch turbo back exhaust, so ill just by a air filter with a maf adapter and use that extra cash for the fuel pump. whats the deal with the mail in ams tuning ( is that the lightweight underdrive pulley kit. thats all i saw on the site)

Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by 04BLUEVO
nice yea i got a boost gauge, with the mbc and the mr bov and a 3 inch turbo back exhaust, so ill just by a air filter with a maf adapter and use that extra cash for the fuel pump. whats the deal with the mail in ams tuning ( is that the lightweight underdrive pulley kit. thats all i saw on the site)
No no, Leave the underdrive pulley alone lol. The mail in is a form of ECU tuning. you can mail your car's ECU to them and tell them the mods you have and they will reprogram it to run with your mods and make more power. Mail in tunes are not ideal, but they do work well. You can gain around 30WHP from just a tune with a completely stock Evo. On top of that you will get much better gas milage.

The issue with a mail in tune is your car will not be able to run untill they mail it back. You could also get dyno tuned to save time and get the best tune you can for your mods. I am not sure where you live but there are dyno tuners all over the US who know Evos very well and can tune them.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:10 PM

By the Way way PSI is your car running currently? make sure it is not more than 19 PSI. Without a tune you dont want to push your car up there. after a tune 20-22PSI is cake

Old 07-29-2009, 11:24 PM

alright yea, I was wondering what the mail in tune was, and i have a shop that dyno my buddys wrx for around 400$ which idk is good/bad for a typical price, and currently I am running around 17 psi untill i get some more stuff done

Quick Reply: intakes