Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Default RE: New intake!!!

Hey pootz, I just bought short ram air intake from Ebay too. Does it work ok? My buddy who is a mechanic from toyota dealer recommended me to buy the short ram instead of cold air intake. Until now I still don't know what is the different between those two. Can somebody explain it to me? Is that short ram air intake is a good idea?

Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 1995 FWD non turbo.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:02 AM

OK, i will give you my opinion on the subject, but remember, you'll find different opinions everywhere.

The difference between short ram and cold air is this.
Short ram is (like the name) a short tube that connects but stays inside the engine compartment.
A Cold Air is a longer pipe that extends down, most commonly, into your wheel well area.

Personally i like cold air better because you are sucking cold air in from outside the car while short ram is taking the hot air that is floating around your engine. colder air = denser air = more power/explosion.

as for sound, the cold air is a little ricyer than the short ram. the short ram has a little deeper tone to it.

Don't think that i'm sayin' the short ram is a bad idea. it does help with the hp.

Because I have the turbo model, my spooling sound as well as the Ptshh for the BOV got louder w/ the shortram.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:33 PM

Hey Poot... looking back at your intake pic that you posted back at the top, what do those holes on the side of the intake plug up to? There is two on the right side and another one on the left side. I am fixing to order one too. But I was just wandering what they plug up to?

Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 AM

Now that I'm scared to answer because I dont want to tell you the wrong information.

I believe one of the small ones goes to my wastegate. I do know that the really big one is for recirrculating the Blow Off Valve.

Since you don't have a turbo make you will not have any of these holes in your shortram. well I hope you don't because then you would have bought the wrong intake. lol

Old 05-02-2006, 01:27 AM

You could get a air filter recharge kit, when you wash a filter with water, it loses it's static bonding which helps it do it's job.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:20 AM

Actually I do have a turbo car. I have a 95 Eclipse GST. I am planning on buying one too. Actually I am planning on buying one from ExtremePsi.com, but with the K&N Filter. I was just wandering what those holes connect to?

Old 05-03-2006, 03:41 AM

look at your stock intake. same holes at the same place

oh and my bad about the turbo mixup. i was reading the old post that was from someone else. my bad dude.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:59 PM

isn't there a problem with going through puddles with the CAI, i was looking at those and short rams, i want the cold air but i live in cleveland and it rains a lot, so i'm not sure what to get

Old 05-06-2006, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: PooT_Nation

Now that I'm scared to answer because I dont want to tell you the wrong information.

I believe one of the small ones goes to my wastegate. I do know that the really big one is for recirrculating the Blow Off Valve.

Since you don't have a turbo make you will not have any of these holes in your shortram. well I hope you don't because then you would have bought the wrong intake. lol
I think the small one goes to the valve cover?? atleast my car does or did.

about teh short ram or CAI. just get a CAI and keep a screw driver handy thats all. because you can take off the extention of the CAI and make it a short ram in about 2 minutes flat. alll you do is remove the extention and put the filter where the extention was so it would be bolted onto the MAS instead. that way you can have the intake as you need it and want it.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: estraw

isn't there a problem with going through puddles with the CAI, i was looking at those and short rams, i want the cold air but i live in cleveland and it rains a lot, so i'm not sure what to get
Anyone???

Quick Reply: New intake!!!