Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Performance Chips

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 04:53 AM
Default Performance Chips

I see these performance chips pop up on eBay all the time, in fact, they're always on there. I own a old 94 model Diamante, and I'm not too proud of the acceleration at all, so I'm trying to figure out things to do with it to make it jump a little harder. These performance chips on eBay that go into your ECU or MAF, not sure which one, are less than $10, sometimes even less than $5, and they say they add up to 25+ horsepower. Are they really as good as they sound? I know my car isn't really made for high performance, but it's all I got right now, and I'd like to give a little extra boost off the line. I don't think there's anything that I can do with my intake, especially since the port where the airbox is connected to the MAF sensor is oval-shaped.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Default RE: Performance Chips

ORIGINAL: fazeracer269

I see these performance chips pop up on eBay all the time, in fact, they're always on there. I own a old 94 model Diamante, and I'm not too proud of the acceleration at all, so I'm trying to figure out things to do with it to make it jump a little harder. These performance chips on eBay that go into your ECU or MAF, not sure which one, are less than $10, sometimes even less than $5, and they say they add up to 25+ horsepower. Are they really as good as they sound? I know my car isn't really made for high performance, but it's all I got right now, and I'd like to give a little extra boost off the line. I don't think there's anything that I can do with my intake, especially since the port where the airbox is connected to the MAF sensor is oval-shaped.
Scam that is all...dont waiste your money

Old 07-01-2006, 02:59 PM

look at JET stuff im about to get a recalibration kit that adds 11whp its about 300 bucks tho

Old 07-01-2006, 03:02 PM

The only thing they successfully do is throw a "CEL". Sorry to admit, I bought one a few years ago. I have learned quite a bit since then, so I embarassed myself by buying one to save you the trouble
I have the same issues with my car, certainly not built for speed, but a little at a time and the improvements will come. Will I EVER make my car truly fast? Not likely on my budget for car parts, but I like doing the mods and having a car that is different.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:16 AM

so your sayin that the recalibration kits are a bunch of crap?

Old 07-02-2006, 10:28 PM

Sorry 00Mirage, I was in the midle of typing my post and you must have got yours posted before I submitted mine.
The recalibration of the ECU is okay, but the Ebay resistors are not. I tried a piggyback( recalibrates the ECU) from RRM designed for the R/A lancer(same engine) on my car and the tune was no good. Even after the guys toying with it for an hour or so, it was still way off when I test drove it each time. I have seen the JET kit for my car but am not sure how much good it will do, let alone having to send them a piece of my car's vital components. Let us know how it works out for you.