Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

put on a new cold air intake what do i do with the MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Default put on a new cold air intake what do i do with the MAF?

put on a new cold air intake on my 91 talon to day and wow do i feel the power. but i just unplugged the Mass air flow and rubber pipe. now my check engine light is on. what can i do to get the light off and what do i do with the MAF plug? anyone else done this before that can help me out? does it affect the car any without the mass air flow components off the car?

Old 05-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Default RE: put on a new cold air intake what do i do with the MAF?

Well your cel is on b/c of the maf. Can you take some pics of your cai. Some people just cut and splice in a longer wire if the original maf harness is too short.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:21 AM

well i just unpluged the maf and took it out. just left the plug hang and the car is runing fine except that the check engine light is on. now what does that do to the car? does it make the computer in the car go into choke mode? im looking for someone who has put in a cold air intake and eliminated the maf.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:25 AM

i put a cold air intake on my 01 eclipse and i put the maf on the new intake.
the computer needs to know how much air is going in. your car can run like **** if its just unpluged
i put my maf on my intake, there are 2 pipes to the intake, and i put the sensor between them... should be in the instructions of the CAI

Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

What kinda of intake is this. Every intake that ive ever seen has kept the MAF there because you need it.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

What kinda of intake is this. Every intake that ive ever seen has kept the MAF there because you need it.
i really dont know what kind of intake it is but i bought it off e-bay. it has the S shaped pipe which conects to the intake manifold and the filter just clamps on the end of it. the car runs fine with out the maf. ill see if i can take some pick tonight and see if i can uplad them for you guys to see what i did.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

so then its a short ram intake and not a cold air? Yea lets see the pics

Old 06-01-2006, 04:13 PM

i put a SRI then a CAI on my 97 eclipse... the stock never had any kind of sensor on it.. and the new intakes never had a place for any type of sensor.. do some cars not have the MAF? ..and I thought it was MAS (mass airflow sensor) ? .... Guess I was wrong.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:31 PM

well i was told that it was a cold air intake and that i could just plug and go. my car idles funny on start up but runs fine there after, with the maf removed. i can totaly tell the power increase. but is this bad for my car or should i customize something to make the maf work for my car. look at the pick and tell me what i got and what i should do. im new to these motors so.......

Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 PM

i didnt load on the last screen so im tryin again

Quick Reply: put on a new cold air intake what do i do with the MAF?