Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Throttle body air leak please help

Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Default Throttle body air leak please help

Hello, first time poster here. Thanks in advance for any help! I am not super car mechanic savvy, I know how to change tires, breaks, oil, tires, basically enough to keep my auto shop bills down to a minimum but I am pretty smart and handy so with a little knowledge from you guys I think I can do this. I have a 2002 Eclipse GT 3.0L V6 and it sat for 3 years. I fixed it up enough to get me down to florida but when she first starts up she will stall out until she warms up for a bit or goes about a half mile down the road. She idles around 1500 rpm once shes warmed up but thats with the throttle cable adjusted all the way up. The rpms go up and down until I hear a fan come on and then it will even out until the fan kicks off and then its back to up and down. with the hood up I can hear a massive air vaccuum leak coming from somewhere underneath the throttle bottle, around the IAC valve I think. I had a guy look it a while back and here's what we did: Replaced 4 oxygen sensors(both front and rear manifolds), replaced IEC(Idle Engine Control) Module, replaced MAF (Master Airflow) Sensor, and like I said before he cranked the throttle cable all the way up. My question to you knowledgeable fellows and gals is do you think I need a whole new throttle Body or would it be something else and being as handy as I am is this something I can do myself or should I seek professional help? Thanks again!

Old 02-12-2015, 03:23 AM

try paragraphs.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:08 PM

I don't think you need a new throttle body just fix the leak, Did you try the propane or starting fluid trick. Do you have about 6' of about 3/8" hose to put to your ear and just go around the intake to find where the hissing is coming from. Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:03 PM

This may work in finding the area where it is leaking.