Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

"Ghost" in the machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Default "Ghost" in the machine

OK, I am new to the forum and I scanned the "subject" lines of existing forums and didn't see anyting that I thought lined up with what I am about to share...

My son has 1996 Eclipse RS and we have the following problem with it:

Car won't shut off with the key(Already had the ignition switch repaced and had my tech remove the new switch while the car was running - still did not kill the engine)

Sometimes, the car can be shut off by turning on the left turn signal....sometimes not

At this point when teh above doesnto work, we simply have to pop the clutch to kill the engine but the electrical system stays on and drains the battery overnight with nothing in the system turned on other than the parking brake light and sometimes either the oil light or the service engine soon light.

Awhile ago (when the car WAS shutting off normally), after turning off the car with the key(normally), the dash lights (idiot) would stay on and drain the battery but we could hear the sound of a relay near the firewall on the drivers side (inside the engine compartment - there are 2 of them - couldn't tell which one) clicking and finally when we turned the windshield wipers on, the clicking stopped and the lights went out...

Anyone have any idea what I may be looking for or what those two relays are up near the firewall? The body on this car is about 90% like new and we have replaced many mechanical systems in the past 2.5 years he has driven it. Would like to be abel to salvage it enough to feel comfortable selling it if it didn't take too much. The dealer estimated 4-5 hours of just diagnositic work at $90/hour. I am hoping someone with a lot more experience than I have can suggest some things to tryto me.

First off, is there a complete wiring schematic available on line somewhere? Also, this car was bought from another teenager who had added many "extra" items to the car but I think he removed some of them before selling it to us (alarm, some other black plastic box that I cannot identify). Didn't affect the car's ability to run or function in the least up until the past 6 months.

Let the challenge begin!!!!!;-)

Old 01-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: "Ghost" in the machine

Wow sounds like a major electrial problem you got. I have access to wiring diagrams, let me know what you need.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM

Thanks. Anything you can give me electronically would be helpful. If nothing else, if you could identify what the relays are that are mounted on the firewall that would be helpful as I have a hunch that is where I need to be looking first since I know there was a problem there earlier.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 PM

well if it had a turbo at one point it could've had a turbo timer and when the kid before removed it he could've crossed up some wires in the ignition system. OR maybe it had a remote starter at one point and the wires were crossed after he removed that.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

^^^ I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM

Scary isn't it? Great minds do think alike, right Sebbz?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

lol It would appear so

Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Thanks for all the responses...so if I AM chasing down a loose wire, where do I start and what do I use to guide me?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on the two relay units I mentioned - as to what they are and whether or not they might be involved?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a pic of the relays your probably talkin abt.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Here are pics of the ignition system wiring diagram.

Quick Reply: "Ghost" in the machine