Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

'11 outlander busted electronics by brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Default '11 outlander busted electronics by brake controller

Hi all, I'm a newbie in this forum as a member and it sure is interesting to find great ideas in here.

I need help. Here's my short story: My '11 outlander has a class 3 hitch installed OEM, electrics done as well, a 4-pin. I got a travel trailer that has electric brakes in them. So I needed a brake controller for my outy. Apparently our dealership here in Vancouver doesn't install such item and they say it is not in their list of accessories, so I was referred to an after market installer they recommend. After $450CAD it works (a Prodigy 2). The TT is a full fiberglass type with GVW of 3500. We travel light, at the scales it reads 2943lbs tanks full, had about 600km+ in total so far since we last towed. 3 weeks after not using the TT and removing the brake controller, the shift lever was locked in Park; engine brake light came on; AWC on/off light came on; "service required" flashed.

Those are not the only ones that failed, there's more. Was able to use outy by pressing a button to unlock it from Park ...manuals, aren't they just wonderful?... So I got it going, however, cruise control wasn't working. with a trusty OBD2 it read P0703- torque brake on/off switch malfunction ...dang! Also found out that the ABS doesn't work ...double dang! Brake lights weren't working ...dang! dang! dang!

Back to the dealership, they have a cunning sense of finding something that voids your warranty just by looking at it. odd... they were so friendly back then. Anyways, they suspect that the brakes' ETAC unit's fuses and relays were busted, they weren't. They managed to get ABS, cruise cntrl, AWC, shifter to work but they cannot seem to find why the brake lights still won't respond, cunning as they are, they disengaged the brake controller wiring connections then blamed it there.

As of writing the brake lights are still not working ...still in the workshop, calculating the hours they've spent. What bugs me is that they are claiming that outy's are not meant for TT or any other trailer as a matter of fact with electric brakes, so any connections to one of the brake switch lines that just communicates a signal is a no no. duh? Mitsubishi vehicles are awesome, the one talking at the dealership, again ...duh?

There must be a way for this to work or there must have been something wrong with the connections, but the timeline of how things have happened just doesn't equalize with wrong connections.

So what help do I need? based on e-trailer videos & schematics, they are almost identical to each & every vehicle you connect a brake controller, is there another way of doing it? I plan on doing it myself because wifey says i better. happy-wife-happy-life.

I'm absolute on my Outlander, it's for keeps and I'm lovin' my TT. Hoping to find answers and/or advices from a forum community with great ideas. Thanks ahead.

Last edited by kontrabulate; 08-01-2012 at 09:43 PM.