Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

No Speaker Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Default No Speaker Sound

First off, I did a search already. I have a 2004 GTS with that infinity amp and what-not under the pass. seat. I like the factory headunit, so I bought an LOC so I can run an aftermarket amp to power a sub but still keep this headunit. SO...took the pass. seat out...and found many wires that go to the amp-plugin connector. I was told that I need to wire this LOC to the PRE-amp wiring (wires before they enter the amp). I realized thereare 2SOLID black wires and 2SOLID blue wires, so I tapped into these (since all the other wires ran to my speakers and the blue and red striped wires differentiated between left and right sides, I figured they would be AFTER-amp wires). Iknew I didn't knowcrap about wiring and I hated it (still do)with passion...but this had to be easy. Well, I caused all kinds-a helland now my speakers dont make noise at all...headunit works and everything, but no sound. So i put everything back the way it was, and still nothin...checked the engine compartment fuses...all good. Now its going to be a LOOONG hour drive to school tomorrow morning.

Anyone have any suggestions? Cause I don't...really never did lol.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:21 AM
Rob
Banned
Default RE: No Speaker Sound

Take it to a pro?

Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: 97BlackSpyder

First off, I did a search already. I have a 2004 GTS with that infinity amp and what-not under the pass. seat. I like the factory headunit, so I bought an LOC so I can run an aftermarket amp to power a sub but still keep this headunit. SO...took the pass. seat out...and found many wires that go to the amp-plugin connector. I was told that I need to wire this LOC to the PRE-amp wiring (wires before they enter the amp). I realized thereare 2SOLID black wires and 2SOLID blue wires, so I tapped into these (since all the other wires ran to my speakers and the blue and red striped wires differentiated between left and right sides, I figured they would be AFTER-amp wires). Iknew I didn't knowcrap about wiring and I hated it (still do)with passion...but this had to be easy. Well, I caused all kinds-a helland now my speakers dont make noise at all...headunit works and everything, but no sound. So i put everything back the way it was, and still nothin...checked the engine compartment fuses...all good. Now its going to be a LOOONG hour drive to school tomorrow morning.

Anyone have any suggestions? Cause I don't...really never did lol.
And this, my friends, is called Mobile Installer job security. If all the fuses are good, everything powers on appropriatley and you still get no sound, there's a good chance you fried your amp. Did you test the wires at all before you tapped into them, or just strip back and go to town? And honestly, you can go to either amped or non-amped with an LOC, it'll drop voltage as it runs through the converter, and that's what they make volume controls for on an amplifier. In my experience, it's actually better to run an amp off a hotter signal (i.e. amplified). It's a slightly redundant system, but wires are usually easier to access, and you don't have to turn the amp up quite as much to get the same level of volume.

Had you brought it to my shop to have it installed first time around, I would have charged you $18, a $5 shop materials fee, and tax to install your converter. Now, with your no sound issue, you're looking at probably $35-70 in trouble shoot labor, if it's confirmed that it's a blown amp, you can either spend $700-800 at the stealership to have it replaced, or go buy a 4ch amp and get it installed.

Troubleshoot - $70
Dual Amp Kit - $120
Extra Set of RCA's- $10
4 Ch. Amp Install - $85
2 Ch./Mono Amp Install (I might cut you a break since I've already run the rest of the wires)- $35.98
1 more LOC - $26
LOC Install - $36
Shop Materials Fee - $5

Grand Total (not including the amp) 387.98 plus tax.

$23 > $387.98

So the moral of the story, if you don't know what the hell you're doing, give it to a professional and take the hit in the wallet like a man.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:47 PM

Oh yeah, I know...I was only madefor turbo goodies...no electrical wiring/audiowhat-so-ever lol. I was surprised I installed my SAFC in my 97 Eclipse with minimal effort...but for some reason it's always the even more simplified things in life that get me lmao.

Thanks for the info, but I just solved my sound issue about 20 seconds ago outside...seems there was another 20amp fuse inline for the power to the amp (I.E. the blue and black wires i tapped into) underneath the carpet...which is why none of my factory fuses were good lol. IDK why they did it, since there's one 20amp for it on the side dash fuse panel, but they did...and it seems thats the only weird thing lol...go figure. But, in any case, problem solved lol. Thanks everybody

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 PM

lol, you're a lucky one you are! good to know it didn't cost you a butt load to get it fixed.