Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

when i installed my radio......my power locks stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Default when i installed my radio......my power locks stopped working

how could this possibly be related. i have installed many of radios before in different cars. i have a 93 mirage. I would like power locks. i mean this happened a while ago but i want to know how this is messed up now. and umm the automatic seatbelts dont work as they should anymore. i didnt touch any other wires expect for the radio. i am slightly embarassed by this to. i thought i knew how to properly install a radio. works fine. just created those problems in the process.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Default RE: when i installed my radio......my power locks stopped working

Well you certainly screwed the perverbial pooch on this install. Did you cut the harness?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 PM

i cut the harness for the radio. i am not using a single stock wire right now. every wire is my own i installed.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 PM

That was your first mistake. There's no need to do that unless you're building an audio system for comepetition, and if that's the case you shouldn't be havning this problem because you should know what you're doing.

So you've run a new 12 volt constant, switched accessory, ground, new positives and negatives wires to all speakers, dimmer, illumination, etc?

Take a meter to your fuse box and check the continuity of each and every fuse, both in the cabin and under the hood. My guess is you've popped a fuse somewhere or fried a relay.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM

one of the wires to the right rear speaker wasnt working properly so i said screw it and wired my own wires. best buy did not sell the correct adapter which is the reason i had to cut it in the first place. i just have the radio with a 12 volt constant..i have to turn the radio off when i dont want music playing; i did not want to bother with an switched accessory, actually kind of nice when filling up gas but thats besides the point.

i did not even think of checking the fuses. probably should have started there. when my brother comes home later ill steal his volt meter and start checking things. ill let you know, thank you for helping me solve this.

EDIT: Fixed, two blown fuses....well three. only in engine compartment and other two inside the cabin. I do have another question though. is the fan suppose to be on all the time? cause well mine is. Im sure that isnt helping the idle issue im having, that lil extra power draw all the time. What would i need to fix that? a fan relay?