Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

GST Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Default GST Engine Rebuild

I have a 97' gst w/ 113,xxx miles on the engine and awhile back I blew my engine, I was on the freeway going about 60 in 3rd gear and accidentally short shifted into 2nd. Needless to say the engine was not happy with this turn of events. The car was billowing blue/white smoke at a phenomenal rate. I was relatively close to my house <1.5 mile, so I drove her home and parked it.

Did a dry compression and all the cylinders where ~40psi, and I did not due a wet compression, because I felt it had to be the upper unit since all the cylinders where uniform.

I got the head off last night, and the head gasket looks perfectly fine. (Haven't had time to take a look at the head with greater detail will look at that tonight.) All the cylinder walls are perfectly smooth with no scorch marks or chaffing, and all the pistons have the same minimal play (so I feel the rings are fine).

Given the information, I am wondering if anybody as any suggestions to look into. Do I need to be ripping out the block and getting new pistons and rods, etc.? Also for this rebuild suggestions for parts I should be replacing while I am there? The timing belt looks fine with no wear and tear, but I do not know how many miles it has on it so I am going to be replacing that along with all the other belts for peace of mind as well as the water pump.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 PM

Alright, so I had time to look at the head and I could see no scorch marks or white spots where the seal could have gone. Is it possible that I broke the seal just enough to be dumping oil and coolant into the combustion chamber? and because I didn't drive on it a lot after this so seal didn't have time to deteriorate?

Also I took off the turbo tonight and it needs to be rebuilt (the turbine is walking and the back one is completely disconnected) any possibility that this could have helped exacerbate the problem?