Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Default Upgrade Question

i just bought a 97 eclipse gst...its all stock...i recently put in my air/fuel and boost gauges...i purchased an upper intercooler pipe with a greddy type s bov...i was wondering what the next step should be? should i do something small like a catback exhaust system, or get my car chipped? what is the best way to go from where i am now?

Old 10-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Default RE: Upgrade Question

Next you have to get a intake, then a boostcontroller. The exhaust is the last cheap mod you do to your car.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:19 AM

Better air element... Take out honeycomb in maf. but this will lean out the car. A very good time to get a data logger/fuel management system and Rewire fuel pump or get a better one, change fuel settings ie pressure & pulse width to better suit the car.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:18 PM

intake and boost controller

Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 PM

oh, and don't forget the turbo timer

Old 10-06-2004, 08:30 PM

and when you take the honeycombs out of the MAS, scrape out the silicone on the bottom where it looks like there is a hole under it, its a screw, if you back it out some you can get even more air through the intake.......

Old 10-07-2004, 12:36 PM

only take out 1 honeycomb though. otherwise you will be too lean... and take them out with a pencil eraser... so you can put them back if you run too lean... if you are new to cars and dont have a a/f meter or datalogger, the best way is to take out i comb and back the screw out slightly. then road test... get up to 4K in second gear and engine brake. if you hear the the exhaust popping rather than growling you are too lean... let us know if you have any other questions...

Old 11-27-2004, 02:47 AM

I wouldn't take the honeycombs out with stock fuel pump...bad idea....get a few more mods then do that...

Old 11-29-2004, 09:20 PM

he's right.. that fun backfire noise is not cool... or good on your car. (not the noise, but what causes the noise)

Old 12-01-2004, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't recommend removing the honeycombs at all anymore. Maybe back before the MAFT's were available i would have said it would be ok, but since the MAFT and GM MAF's are so cheap now, it's better to just buy those. The MAFT setup is actually really good, an unobstructed larger flow and a built in fuel tuning device for only $300? I'd say just buy that before buying an SAFC or SAFR. It rivals the ARC2 and VPC systems for a third of the costs and keeps things simple by retaining a MAS system. I think it's one of the best recent advances in DSM tuning, and is available for a very cheap price.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Question