Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

3000GT NON-TURBO MODS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Default 3000GT NON-TURBO MODS?

I wanted to ask if anyone knows any websites for 3000GT's that are performance-oriented. The ones I know are 3sx and dynamicracing. The reason I am asking is that I found an exhuast that is half the price of the expensive borla (around $400) from dynomax on autopartswarehouse.com, is that an ok exhuast?. the car is now 103,500 miles and I only have the intake. Also the only headers I found was on 3sx.com they are $700.00. . Please let me know of any upgrades that I can get that are not as expensive as the borla and the headers. Or if anyone knows any website. Because for other cars exhausts and headers I have seen in the 500-600 range. I guess borla is a lot bc its stainless steel. Then the hi flow cat is 250 but idk if it does nething.And If I would get cam-gears is an ecu upgrade necessary to tune them on a non-turbo, thank you I appreciate everyones help.

1. Injen IS intake system (have installed) $175.00
2. Borla exhuast, found cheapest on 3sx.com $849.99 ($51.00 for shipping which is a lot.)
3. 3sx N/A long tube headers were $600, now $700
4. 3sx.com high flow cat by random technologies $249, or the straight pipe $50) which one do you recommend?
5. 3sx.com lightweight pulley, get the stock size of the underdrive one? ($130)
6. Magnecore high performance wires and NGK double platinum spark plugs (around $200 total)
7. autopartswarehouse.com throttle body spacer, like $80, does it do anything, says it adds 10-15hp, probably bs(dynomax exhaust here is $400
8. Which clutch do you recommend? fidanza? spec?

Let me know thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Default RE: 3000GT NON-TURBO MODS?

the reason the parts are so expensive is because of the car. parts for these cars have always been expensive and if something serious vreaks on the car you'll most likely end up paying for repairs that are worth more then the car. for your exhaust question, the dynomax exhaust is universal. you'd have to make modifications to make it fit where as the borla bolts right in the place of the stock exhaust. the random technology cat will definitely make a difference because you'll have a much greater airflow. the stock cat is known to be very restrictive. the race pipe will of course make the biggest difference, but the car wont pass admissions. headers will definitely make a hug difference. they'll give you a lot of horsepower and help out with low end torque. the spark plugs and wires are a good idea and will help give out more power. people have said the underdrive pulley makes a difference also. the problem with 3000gt n/a's is that there really isn't much you can do to them unless you start getting into engine rebuilds which costs thousands.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Yeah I know thanks 3000GTman you seem to know this stuff. my car is bone stock except for the intake IS intake system. Its been said that is the best intake you can get for that n/a car, there also is K&N and stillen but those are only filters and adapters, you would have to buy the pipe seperate while injen gives you everything, aluminum pipe,silicon boot, filter and adapter. Borla is a lot of money though. But does throttle body spacer do anything?
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pr...=throttle_body

that is the link for it, says it gives 8hp and 10tq which ofcourse is exaggerated.
I really wish I had a vr-4, for some reason recently they have been on ebay, but they are bids, like 10-12k at this time, a lot of ppl want them. Also I want to ask if it much more difficult to maintain a vr4 than an N/A? I mean I know it is... but I'm saying like does the turbo break down often? the awd and all wheel steering reliable? For anyone who likes or has a 3000GT should go to dynamicracing.com and go to staged upgrades. they have them both foe the N/A and VR-4. Going from stock to 400+HP on the N/A and up to 600+ on the VR-4. I know all of you guys might have been there and done that, seen it already a long time ago...but are those numbers real I mean kind of way over their head, if they are real, they can obnly be to the crankshaft, hell no, not to the wheel,
last question...How much horsepower to the wheel does a N/A dohc 3000gt have? and how much does a vr-4? Please let me know, thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

www.dynamicracing.com has everything you need to know

Old 09-09-2007, 10:51 PM

those numbers that dynamicracing.com gives out are real, but theyre not to the wheels. dynamic racing says that to get the n/a to 400hp you need the nitrous kit. this isnt true. the n/a can be a fast car without the turbo, but you have to put a lot of money into them which isnt worth it cause you can just get a vr4. there's cams, and port and polish, bigger internals, and better intakes and exhausts. i know that when people do vr4 conversions to the fwd 3000gt, they normally get about 260hp to the front wheels. not sure what a vr4 would end up being with awd. you can find vr4's much cheaper then $10-12k. you just have to know where to look and find the right deals. vr4's are obviously going to be more expensive to maintain. thats why you have to make sure you have the money to maintain one before buying one.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:07 PM

i forgot to answer about the throttle spacer. it is a mod worth getting. it helps out with low end torque, as do the headers. the 8hp and 10tq does sound accurate by the way.