Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Automatic to Manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Default Automatic to Manual

I know, I know, its a pain in the butt, but I wanted to know if anyone has put in a manual tranmission and everything into a automatic 3000 GT. Its not for me, but my friend has just recently purchased one, and I offered to help fix it up. So if any one has any help besides telling me not to do it, would be great. thanks

Old 07-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Default RE: Automatic to Manual

I had it done on my 95 Stealth (I am sure you know it is a 3000gt with a Dodge body kit) and it was a pain in the royal rear. I would reccommend it though because the sheer pleasure difference is incredible.

WHATEVER YOU DO - DO NOT ALLOW KEVIN WILLIAMS (Not sure if he is here, but he is on 3SI and always advertises doing the ATX - MTX swap) TO TOUCH YOUR CAR.

Anyways - Cosmetically you will notice no difference sans the shifter changing. It is easier to get around the engine bay and work in stuff because there is soo much less transmission in the way. The car will accelerate a LOT better, but won't top out as fast. With my ATX I had at one point gone 158, but with my MTX, I haven't broken 145. That is not to say that it can't go faster, but I haven't found a place close to me (I lived elsewhere when I had a safe place to go that fast) where such speed can be done without worrying on traffic or jeopardizing people other than myself. The MTX is nicer, but make sure you get second gen parts if you can - the first gen MTX is weaker than tin foil. Also, you will have to remove your dash and most of your interior along with the engine, so now would be a good time to replace any broken dash vents, engine componets or anything.

One word of caution - you will have to at the least get a new ECU wiring harness. My car was saddled even with a completely new ECU. I am not sure as to whether or not you know this - but those parts are harder to obtain than intercourse for a 900# castrated man.

All in all - I say do it. It will be the biggest headache that car will ever produce, but the reward far outweighs the cost - at least in my opinion.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Default RE: Automatic to Manual

Thank you so much. That really helped a lot.