Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Default A/C Question

ok i bought my 3000gt about 2 years ago and had problems with the a/c compressor. we replaced the compressor and it kept kicking off like it had too much pressure. after we converted to digital a/c guages we found there was too much freon in the lines and slowly adjusted so it wouldnt kick off. it worked fine for a summer and over the winter (defrost) but about a 2 weeks ago it just stopped working and randomly works. we put the digital gauges back up to it and couldnt keep the compressor running long enough to see whats going on it kicks off after 3 seconds. drained the a/c and vac'ed then tryed putting it in and it just keeps shutting off. i own a 1993 3000gt vr-4. anyone have ideas? I dont know what to think. last time it did this it was a pressure problem and mitsubishi said the compressor was bad but they were wrong. (found that out the hard way after replacing it with 5 diffrent new units) please anyone else hear of this happening?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Have you measured the voltage to the clutch assy to see if it is intermittent ? You could also run 12V directly from the battery to the clutch to eliminate it being a switch/corrosion problem etc. I just replaced my clutch assy yesterday. The compressor was fine.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:08 PM

originally yes when we first had all this trouble but since it went out no we have not. I can hear the A/C compressor kick in and the car idle up about 200rpms then hear it drop 200 rpms and see the red light blink meaning my ac isnt working properly instead of the snowflake. ill try to check that when i have more time. Where did you get your assembly from and for how much?

Last edited by Mr.CTT; 05-16-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:32 PM

I bought mine from discountacparts.com but they didn't have just the clutch listed online. They were able to get me one calling them directly on their toll free number. The dealer wanted $385 for just the clutch new.

Mine is a 2001 Eclipse Spyder GS 2.4L .. the part was $225 (new) plus shipping. I could have gotten the entire compressor and clutch for around $365 (refurb) from them but there was nothing wrong with the compressor.

I'm sure you are aware of the low side and high side proper pressure ranges from your post. Directly powering the clutch so it didn't cut out would let you get pressures but if there is a problem it could cause further damage as you most likely know.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Default AC problem

Some ac systems if they are low on freon they wont let the clutch stay engaged it will just go on and off , you have to have a ac shop fill it.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:53 PM

well just as i thought i remembered the high pressure sensor is built into the compressor running direct power wont help after a certain point. im beginning to wounder if thats whats bad.... and btw they only have remans there

http://www.discountacparts.com/addto...t~60-01232.asp#

Last edited by Mr.CTT; 05-17-2009 at 05:56 PM.