Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Clear coat is flaking off looks crappy over headlights any ideas of how to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Default Clear coat is flaking off looks crappy over headlights any ideas of how to fix this?

i have a 1998 3000gt its black and the headlights have spots were they coated it with clear coat and now its flaking off leaving whitish outlines. theres also some spots like this on the roof and the hood. any suggestions on how to make this look better?
Thanks, Chris

Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 PM

About the only thing you can do in this instance is sand off the damaged clear coat to where you have healthy paint, repaint and reclear. An experienced painter may be able to spot repair the areas, but short of removing the damaged clear and at least reclearing there is not much you can do

Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM

you need to wet-sand off the existing clear coat, and reclear the headlights. Just sanding and buffing will leave you with damaged and spider-cracked lenses. The clearcoat is there to protect the plastic/glass lenses from sun damage/cracking.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by whoolapoo
i have a 1998 3000gt its black and the headlights have spots were they coated it with clear coat and now its flaking off leaving whitish outlines. theres also some spots like this on the roof and the hood. any suggestions on how to make this look better?
Thanks, Chris
As for the rest of your car (hood, roof, etc). You will need to have it sanded down, and repainted completely (color and clear).

Where are you located, if you don't mind my asking.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:59 PM

Dont clear coat your headlights... that isnt really all that good on them. they make a special paint or clear so to say at places like pepboys they spray them with and its better for them something about the sun and rays and bla bla go in and ask about it at an aftermarket parts store and buy it on the internet my friend worked at pepboys and let me have a can they dont sell it but rather make you take off the headlight and bring it in so they can sand it then spray it with a little aerosol can and then charge you 60-80$ the way of the world... anyway i dont know of anywhere else that has it other than pepboys so if you go into advance and they have no clue what your talking about i cant help you i just know here in mansfield ohio at the pepboys someone knew what they were doing lol. do a little research if i had the can ide give it to you but i dont anymore it was a couple years ago

Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 PM

if you don't reclear the lenses, they will get spider cracks all over them, and look like ****.

But hey, I don't know what I'm talking about