Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Clutch/Tranny Problem HELP!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Default Clutch/Tranny Problem HELP!!??

Ok guys, I have a 94 3000 Gt SL, Shes my baby, only 80k miles, and heres the deal.

I was driving my car and i was on the expressway doing about 65-70, Now dumbass *** me was talking on the phone while distractively shifting my gear into 2nd, I let off the clutch and as you could guess it reved high and made a ugly little sound. I threw it neutral as soon as i could. And tried to put the clutch back in, the clutch engaged alright, But I couldnt put it in any gear, I tried fourth, then 5th, And then i heard a grinding sound and it wouldnt engage. I rolled off to the side and let it sit for about 10 minutes, Tried again and I managed to get it in first, and then second very stiffly. I nourished it all the way home but it still grinded a little bit. the clutch feels different now, i havent even dared to drive it, but i started it and the clutch felt a litlle looser pressure, and a little bit shakey, which led me to believe it could be a master cylinder blowout/leak. now i dont know where the hell my clutch master cylinder is located so i can check for a leak. There was no leak on the inside of my firewall.

SO my question is, How do i Assess the problem and find out if i need a new clutch, Master cylinder, Tranny Etc? Im sure this is cake for some of you guys but I myself am not a mechanic lol.

Thank you, and I will appreciatte any help.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Default RE: Clutch/Tranny Problem HELP!!??

sounds like you messed up your syncros in the tranny and the springs in your clutch. there are springs in the clutch disc to make for easier clutch engagement and if you shifted down at that speed it would have compressed them pretty heavily.
if you think its your clutch though the master cylinder is really small and just below and to the left of the brake master cylinder (facing forward in the car). its small and white.