Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

The genesis of a dream.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Default RE: The genesis of a dream.....

From what i was told, it keeps the oil from getting into places it shouldn't like the turbo ( among other things, but it was explained to me like 3 years ago so i barely remember.) by collecting the oil there instead. im assuming it's taking the back pressure off the oil lines and puting the excess gunk in the can as well. but i could be way off the mark as well. so take it for what it's worth.
ORIGINAL: Xavier

ORIGINAL: DeathCabForCutie

ORIGINAL: Xavier

oil catch tank like this, it has a description but i dont know what its talking about.....

http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...01&_v=vmd00292

wow i checked it out....ive honest to god never heard of that...and from the description it really doesnt sound like a necessity...lol and sure as hell not for 100 bucks
ok so does anyone know what its intended use would be? or did some company decided make an aluminum they could sell for 100 bucks?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Rochelimit

So ballpark for a price? 7g's?
Also what's a good brand for 3000gts? I'm leaninig on momoing the hell out of it. Does anybody know about getting sponsors as well?
ORIGINAL: DeathCabForCutie

Hey everybody. My name is Quinton, i recently finished a 4 year tour in the Army and have decided that it was time i did something for me.........so i have decided to buy myself 3000gt vr-4. Now i've pretty much got an idea of what i want and what price range and all, but i have a few questions i don't think anybody had answered:

1) I would like to someday have a 500 hp daily driver one day, but i know that day is faaaaaar in the future and maynot be the first gt i buy. however i want to know what are the most practical mods and/or performance items i should buy and for how much am i looking to spend? I was thinking of:

a. full tune up
b. Oil catch can
c. Turbo timer
d. boost controller
e. Borla (because i've heard ALOT of people talking about it increasing HP and a Killer sound, but is it neccicary?)
f. HKS SSQV

am i on the right track? if so, which companies should i buy from. I a big fan of Momo and HKS, but i dunno if they sell the best parts for 3000gt's. Also if i am on the right track how much would all this cost? Ballpark estimates?

2) Would it really matter if i bought a 3k vr-4 with high mileage? I mean couldn't i just either buy another crate engine or rebuild it?

3) Is anybody near where i live? im looking for a place to to some seriously sick bodymods to my car, and i have ideas, but nobody to go to!

thanks for everything in advance everyone, im sure i'm going to use this forum alot in the near future.

1. with all respect...if you make a 500 HP daily driver out of a 3k i swear to god ill bake a cake and send it to you cuz its not gonna be easy

Gary gave some really good advise but personally i would tell you to start messing with the turbos last....start with the normal first mods...a CAI (cold air intake)....new longer headers for more airflow...along with a new fatter downpipe with a straight race pipe (like gary said its illegal but you dont realize what a hinder a cat converter puts on your airflow until you actually remove it)...and then continue with a new catback...like you asked...borla is nice...alot of 3k owners on this site have it...its extremely expensive but all the owners ive asked are satisfied with it...

start with that stuff...it allows your engine to prepare itself with the power that comes with adding power to the turbos...

oh and by an oil catch can???? you mean one of those 30 dollar performance oil filters that really dont do ****???

ahh somethin like that cuz who ever does it for you will probably be a bitch on labor costs.....

here are the prices for the stuff ive told you

CAI (with a bracket cuz you dont want it just hanging there) - $70
longer headers - $650
fatter downpipe - $600
Straight race pipe - $50
Borla exhaust - $800

thats a lil over 2g just for that...once you start beefing up the turbo...thats where you run into the big bucks

all of this stuff ive told you you can find on .... www.3sxperformance.com

as for as a single brand...there isnt really a big selection for the 3k...as you will find they are very very hard to find parts for so dont get set on a single brand becuase its more than likely not gonna carry you through

Old 07-11-2006, 02:51 PM

Damnit! i kinda figured there would be a limited selection of companies, but one can hope. That's not bad though for the prices of all that stuff i thought the 7g's would cover just the products minus labor. Im sure i can rub elbows with a few people and find a good mechanic. so what's this business i hear about "stage 1" and "stage 2" modifications? is it a crock or does it really mean something?

Also i read somewhere that the drive train on a 3kgt can shift power up to 95% to either axle under certain conditions. Would there be a way to, i dunno, "fool" the computer thinking those conditions were ever present, essentially making it a rear wheel drive car?

Old 07-12-2006, 02:17 AM

Also i read somewhere that the drive train on a 3kgt can shift power up to 95% to either axle under certain conditions. Would there be a way to, i dunno, "fool" the computer thinking those conditions were ever present, essentially making it a rear wheel drive car?
...why would you wanna do that??

I think the Vr4 falls under the typical AWD power ratio of like

70-75% Rear
25-30% Front

so for the most part its pulling with the rear axles anyway so i wouldnt worry about it...plus the pull with the front is what gives you your take-off speed and helps you stick like glue through corners.. so why would you wanna eliminate that?

Old 07-13-2006, 04:35 PM

I was just wondering if it could be done. like say i wanted to do some drifting, i could switch to "Drift mode" which relays most of the power to the back tires. Im sure people would freak out if they saw a 3kgt's back tires spinning only. then if i wanted to carve some corners switch it back to "Drive mode" and return it back to it's regular power configuration. I think it would be cool to have a variable power management system. who knows when you may need it......

Old 07-14-2006, 03:03 AM
Default oil catch tank

Oil Catch Tank catches the oil and moisture in the blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system and the engine. It keeps the engine clean even under hard driving conditions.