Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Help on buying the 3000

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Default Help on buying the 3000

Glad I found this forum cause Ive got some questions. I love the 3000gt, its my dream car, and now im thinking about selling my current car, a 97 Nissan Maxima GLE for a 92 3000 GT. Now I can get tons of cash back no problem, the guys selling it for pretty cheap, but theres a catch... he says it needs a new timing belt, water pump, and a total valve replacement. Its got 93000 miles, and so im wondering if its gunna die in a few months, years, or whatnot. Other than that it runs and looks beautiful, so, get the 3000gt and fix it up? or find another?

Old 07-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Default RE: Help on buying the 3000

Are you mechanically inclined and in posession of tools? If not, it will cost between 450 and 1000 just for the 60k tuneup,ie timing belt, water pump and such. This depends upon where you take it of course, the stealership being at the high end of the spectrum. As far a valve work goes, it is expensive also but I don't know enough about it to quote prices. You say it runs now, why the need for valve work????

If you do purchase it for cheap, take to a mechanic you trust and get the 120k service done on it. Oil pump, water pump, thermostat, and t-belt. You can change the plugs, wires, hose and belts yourself.

Money and time well spent for peace of mind.

The 6g72 motor is pretty reliable, I have 145K on mine with no problems. I have performed all of the recommended maintenance on it though.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:01 PM

Although I myself am not a very good mechanic, I have an entire slew of friends just waiting for their chance to work on a piece of work like the 3000. I already know I can get a discount or even free maintenance done to it once I get it. Though the only reason I say it needed valve work is cause the dealership guy said it did, I started it up and sounded fine except for the belt so I have no idea what kind've shape the valves are in. The real problem wasnt the belt or pump though, its the valves. Anything think I would even have to replace them? I know its a good car, but I wasnt sure about its reliability, especially with the supposed problems. Anyway let me know, I'm trying to close the deal on it before this weekend, sooner the better.

Thanks

Old 07-13-2004, 03:36 PM

Does it squeak when it is running? That is more than likely the idler/tensioner pulleys. If/when you get the t-belt changed it is a good idea to change all pulleys along with the water pump. You will be right there, just as well change them.

I am still confused about the valve problem though. Without seeing or hearing it run, I just don't know. Does it smoke when started or accelerating? Does it make a ticking sound (lifter tick), that is a very common trait for the 1st gen 3kgt's. It won't harm the motor, per se, it just sounds like hell.

Is it a DOHC or SOHC motor? I am assuming it's DOHC.

Old 07-13-2004, 04:18 PM

I could hear no sounds when I started it up at the dealership, we let it idle for awhile and it sounded great, aside from the belt like i said. He didnt want me to test drive to savor the valves, but I didnt see or hear anything out of place. Its a DOHC, and like I said, no ticks, dings, or anything.... Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:32 PM

Here in Oregon, the 60k maintenance on my '92 3000GT VR-4 cost $920 at a mechanic. The SOHC engine is cheaper to maintain, as it's not shoehorned under the hood like the DOHC TT.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:11 PM

The DOHC NA is packed pretty tight as well, not nearly as tight as a TT obviously but everything is suprisingly easy to get to. Well everything I have had to work on anyway ie, just basic maintenance stuff.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:19 AM

I guess what Im really asking is should a.)How much is a entirely new valve system going to run me? labor wise since i have the parts. b.)although strapped for cash, should I even consider the 3kgt ive been describing? and c.)how much should this car even be sold for, with the problems listed? He wants NADA value when the valves are screwed... which is 5200, and this is without the parts or labor required to fix it. I know I can get him to drop the price, already did a few hundred, but now he tells me i should have the work done myself instead of having the dealership do it.

Hit me back, time is against me...

Old 07-15-2004, 12:58 PM

93K miles
You need to do the 120K service, cost you roughly $1K
Taking a guess on the headwork, between $500 & $1K, including gaskets and whatnot, remember that is an estimate.

There is about $2K right there. If you get the car for say $4K+2K, you end up with a car that is $6K

You can probabaly save 500 or more if you do the work yourself or with friends.

I cannot tell you if you should get the car or not. I personally would not give more than 3K for a car that needs immediate work done to it especially head work.

I paid 6800 for my Stealth 4 1/2 years ago with 106K miles on it. There are better deals to be had. Plunk down $3000 in front of him, all crisp 100$ bills, see if he bites, if not offer a little more, if he still doesn't bite....
Go with your gut feeling.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:17 AM

Alright, Ive got him to come down on the price, and he says hes going to fix those three problems with the car, belt, valves, and pump. Im also paying to have it checked out by Mitsubishi in the next few days, so my next question is should I even worry about him fixing it, or will I just have to invest more money in repairs in the very near future. Are the 92 models good? or should I stray away and look for a later year. Thx in advance.

Quick Reply: Help on buying the 3000