Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

How can I check for fuel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Default How can I check for fuel issues?

I finally took my 1992 3000GT out for the first time since January, a lot of devastation that month. She started up fine, went around the block fine, oil pressure and temp and voltage were normal. I tried going futher. About a mile from my house the oil light comes on, and I check the gauge and its sitting low. By now the car is not really responding when I hit the gas so I kinda rolled off to a side street. Pushed it home.

Now I was told that the oil gauge is known to be horribly wrong in these cars so Im hoping that its just a cooincidence. Not ruling it out but thinking of other possible issues. Im wondering if there wasnt enough fuel detonating if that could be the reason it was bogging down, not reacting to the gas pedal. I did notice that if you sat there in neutral and pumped the gas several times that it would slowly rise up as high as you wanted but when driving it didnt go beyond 2500 rpm. Now Im not ruling out the oil thing, Ill be checking oil pressure with a test kit, not trusting the known-to-be-demented gauge. But at the same time how could I check for fuel pressure? For all I know I could just need a new fuel filter and I was worried about an oil pump.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by 3000gt16
I finally took my 1992 3000GT out for the first time since January, a lot of devastation that month. She started up fine, went around the block fine, oil pressure and temp and voltage were normal. I tried going futher. About a mile from my house the oil light comes on, and I check the gauge and its sitting low. By now the car is not really responding when I hit the gas so I kinda rolled off to a side street. Pushed it home.

Now I was told that the oil gauge is known to be horribly wrong in these cars so Im hoping that its just a cooincidence. Not ruling it out but thinking of other possible issues. Im wondering if there wasnt enough fuel detonating if that could be the reason it was bogging down, not reacting to the gas pedal. I did notice that if you sat there in neutral and pumped the gas several times that it would slowly rise up as high as you wanted but when driving it didnt go beyond 2500 rpm. Now Im not ruling out the oil thing, Ill be checking oil pressure with a test kit, not trusting the known-to-be-demented gauge. But at the same time how could I check for fuel pressure? For all I know I could just need a new fuel filter and I was worried about an oil pump.
the gauges aren't always accurate, but mainly what your looking for is that it rises when you rev the engine, which it sounds like it is. If there really is an oil psi issue, your motor is likely done regardless. by the time oil psi gone to nothing on that gauge, if its correct, your bearings are already gone.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:33 PM

the only good way to check fuel pressure is to get a fuel kit with a fuel pressure regulator and gauge, I have those available if your interested