Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

I WONDER....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Default RE: I WONDER....

Yes sorry if I seemed upset. I wasn't taking offense. My goal is to create a fast car that not only proves that FWD can still be made to contend but to prove others wrong that just cuz a car is a certain way stock doesn't mean that it can't be made into something great. I want FWD 1. because I really don't want a heavy car and doing an AWD conversion will make my car heavy and 2. I just think it hasn't been done much and it would be cool to have some more FWD TT's on the map. I agree an AWD car is alway going to be better for traction but I dunno...if I was going to do an AWD conversion....i should just go buy a VR4 b/c then my car will just be a clone and nothing really original. Plus 480+ WHP to the front wheels sounds like some crazy/scary fun hahahaha.

And in response to Joel_CA: That post is a few days old and I have learned quite a bit since then. And the fact that i don't know everything right now is why I haven't bought it yet. See...I plan to buy the parts and build the engine first before I ever put it in. I will be running my NA setup until it is all done. Which gives me more time to figure stuff out just INCASE i don't know everything at the beginning. When I drop my engine in, I will have the new turbo's on and prob a TDO4 kit, LSD in my transmission with solid engine mounts to hold it all in. I should be making around 475+hp to the front wheels hahaha....crazyness.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:47 AM

No worries
FWD cars are contenders, they always have been if done correctly. From a dig, FWD vs. RWD, the RWD may have an upper hand since the weight is transferred to the rear but at speed and if they have identical power, it's all a matter of how the driver..drives. I don't think it's good to match up FWD vs. AWD though. The only way an AWD car can beat a FWD at speed is with a bigger turbo or the FWD owner doesn't know how to "drive", lol. The bigger turbo is usually the case because most AWD owners know better, lol. When I "play" around it's usually from a dig...because I have a 4 spider center diff and aftermarket clutch...so I can rev high and do a quick slip. BTW, weight is easily overcome by power

Sounds like a good and obtainable goal and it sounds like you're on the right track with the research mindset..so geterdone! There's a lot of high powered FWD cars that would make you drool, lol. FWD aren't slackers IMO, just misunderstood and underrated at times, lol.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:15 PM

haha, then tell me why i cant help but beat my two buddies with supras off a dig. one has a mk2 and the other has a mk3. both are non turbo and, rwd like always. atually the mk2 with only 160 fly wheel hp gave me more of a fight than the mk3 that has alot more work done to it to increas the power to about 180whp.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:14 AM

pwnage... lol

Old 12-06-2006, 06:16 AM

ORIGINAL: 94 3kgt sl

haha, then tell me why i cant help but beat my two buddies with supras off a dig. one has a mk2 and the other has a mk3. both are non turbo and, rwd like always. atually the mk2 with only 160 fly wheel hp gave me more of a fight than the mk3 that has alot more work done to it to increas the power to about 180whp.
Sounds like they can't drive to me. Or are telling me is that V8 Mustangs, that have more power, has more traction than those two that are N/A? Honestly, I couldn't tell you. The MK2 weighs in at ~3000lbs (160chp) while the MK3 ~3500lbs (180chp?), you are in at ~3500lbs (225chp) also. Were they auto, do they have LSDs? Don't you have an LSD with your SL? You also have 225chp. There's also weight variables that only you can account for since you raced them. So, why do you think you beat them? Looks to me that you have hp over those two...

Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 AM

yeah i think it's the hp over them. the mk3 has some cusom work, done himself. no supervision. haha. they both have brand new engines. the mk2 just put in a new 5mgte and hes running very strong. the mk2 put up more of a fight. haha. also they are both manual, as is mine and the mk3 and i both have lsd.
i think it's because of the gearing of my transmission. also i launched and he didn't but i still beat him by quite a bit by the time i was exitting 2nd gear. i would say 3 cars but im not completely sure.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:38 PM

Did you or the previous owner have a LSD installed? If not, your car does not have one, they come with an "open differential" from the factory.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:24 PM

mine has one. i didnt instal one myself. the car did come factory with the dif. i believe it's on my owner's manual. idk.