Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Idle Control Motor & Water Pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Default Idle Control Motor & Water Pump ?

I changed out my thermostat last week because I was havin heating and Idle issues but it still over-heated and still low idle at

about 400 rpms so I took it to the shop and they told me that everything looked fine so on the back home it over-heated an idled

low again so I finally just dropped it off at the dealership and prepared for a raping they told me that my water-pump is bad and

that my Idle Control Motor is bad it was 95 bucks just to tell me what was wrong an quoted me at 416.00 to replace the

IC-motor alone so my question is how do you change out the IC-motor its right in front of the throttle body right and where can

find it for a good price ?But mostly how do I get to the water pump Ive heard its hell to get to

Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned
Default RE: Idle Control Motor & Water Pump ?

Honestly i dont think you idle air motor is gone. Becuase when that goes out, the idle jumps from like 600-1000 over and over.

What this sounds like is you need an adjustment of your base idle screw... or possibly clean out your throttle body.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:29 PM

I tried adjusting the biss it would go up then come right back down I'll try cleaning out the throttle body tomorrow any tips on

how to ?

Old 08-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Banned

Sounds to me like you havea vacume leak

Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

Do you have any smoke from the exhaust?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:19 AM

No but I'll check in the mornin just to make sure

Old 08-25-2007, 12:32 AM

would it be dumb if I got my waterpump from ebay kinda tapped right now

Old 08-25-2007, 09:13 AM

If you are going to change the water pump, get all the parts to do a full 60k service. Waterpump, timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys. You have to remove the t-belt to get to the water pump anyway.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-isc-iac.htm <----------- removing/cleaning/testing/replacement instructions for the IAC.

http://mitsupartsdirect.com/index2.html <------------Rockville mitsubishi is the best place to get OEM items.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:31 PM

Also, you can't adjust the BISS without first unplugging the IAC/ISC. The reason it lowered the idel back down is because that's what it's supposed to do. Unplug first, then adjust.
I don't think your issue it there though.
If you're car is "overheating" electrically, you most likely have a bad ECU temp sensor (not the gauge sensor). If your car is really overheating, that needs to be fixed before you worry about the idle.
The reason is because the idle speed can be affected by coolant temps, which are monitored by the ECU. If the car seems "cold", the ECU won't turn on the fans in order to warm up the fluids and it will also keep dumping too much fuel into the motor....as if it would on initial start up.

The thermostat and water pump are all "end game" items, but the sensors are just as important because if they go bad, it may make it seem that those items are bad even if they're not. Make sense?

Water pump, it never hurts to change those out. I'd rather repair to prevent than repair to fix.