Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

limited time, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Default limited time, please help

Hey there. I'm completely outta my element. I was traveling right before Xmas and my tranny went out in my favorite (tho piece of sh*t car) in the middle of nowhere. I had to sell it for $200 because everything wasbroken. I ended up hitch hiking back to myhometown and I've been forced to kick it with my family through the holidays. Icannot LEAVE until Ibuy anew car. I found a 1992 3000 gt (sl??) that I fell in love with.I know I'm gonnamake an a$$ outta myself here because I know nothing about these cars.I wanted todrive it off the lot but the sales people dicked around solong the bank closed. It has 101,000 miles and I talked him down to $6000, but I think the guys still ripping me off, right? I only need to have the car for a year or so because a job I'm getting will give me a car to drive. If I absolutely love it I'd like to keep it. That's a LOT of miles. How long do these cars last and is it a total pain to fix your own car and find parts?? The exterior is beeeautiful and in perfect condition (reddish-orange color), the car wouldn't even start when I first got in and it kindafelt like it was misfiring, and there's some minor superficial damage on the inside like some of the features aren't working. Any help would be appreciated because I'm STUCK with my family until I find a car. My birthdays on new years eve, please help me leave. -- Angie

Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Default RE: limited time, please help

hmm well im not an expert on 3000 gt's but im sry to hear ur stuck with ur family...altho they cant b that bad, and happy birthday, did u consider lookin up the bluebook value of the car? what mods does it have? hows the body holding up? all valuable information to us

Old 12-27-2007, 03:28 PM

The body is in excellent condition. My friend thinks its stock, so nothing special... yet at least. I checked blue book: Private party - $5,470 excellent, $4985 good, $4375 fair; suggested retail - $6,915. I don't think it would take much to fix the minor inside flaws, so I'd say its between excellent and good condition. I would just hate to drive it off the lot then the tranny goes out. Would not enjoy a repeat performance.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM

6000 is too much to ask for a car that year with that many miles. i love my SL but its worth about that and it starts every time i turn the key. you could try to talk him down to the 4375 but its hard with dealerships.
i would look up NADA value to just to compare and see if that is any lower. i believe that is what car insurances go by.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM

They can be touchy cars... THe 6g72 motor in general is like that.
Like 94 said.... that car is really not worth that.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 PM

I used NADA value like someone suggested and the title looks clean. Looks like the car came from San Jose, CA originally and has spent time in at least four different auction houses, the last being for 8 months or so. The mileage went on slowly and there's been no reported wrecks. Only has had two owners... Passed smog emissions test... has a corrected title, not sure what that really means... think its no big deal... It scores a 61 on a scale of 19 to 38 and its rated as "assured." Where does that leave me? How many miles am I looking at this car lasting before its gonna crap out on me?? How far should I try to strong arm these sales guys, because I've looked at a few other cars and this one holds my heart. Other ones include a 1997 Camaro with 95,000 miles red with black racing stripes for $6000, a red 1994 firebird for $4000 (probably less) with 120,000 miles, a purple (GOD I know I hate purple)1998firebirdfor $9000 with 60,000 miles, and a 2001 blue mustang with a V8 with 67,000 miles for $8,000. Remember I'm planning on just running the hell outta it for a year until I landthis greatgov job but I wanna enjoy it until I'm done with it AND be able to resale it and at least break even. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:50 PM

i would go for it then. if your heart is really set in it that is. i can tell you really want it so why not. just take care of it and it will take car of you. make sure you change the oil regularly and maintain it properly and it will be a great car that is plent fun to drive for right now. then down the road if you wan to keep it and completely do it over you will have the funds to do it the right way.
good luck with your decision and again try to talk him down as much as you can. bring in the paper work for the value and really push that you are interested in it. keep us posted.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:00 AM

well if ur gonna run the hell out of it then noengine with that kinda mileage will last long for u at all

Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 PM

you're getting MAJORLY ripped off. That car is worth $3000, TOPS.

You can buy my 92 twin turbo for that much, with 74k miles on it.

buy a $500 junker to get you home, and then look for one of these cars, take your time.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 PM

Thanks a bunch for the help. I settled on a 2001 reddish-orange mustang. It's in beautiful condition. I picked the last weekday of the year (and it was raining) to buy a car, so I got an awesome deal. I got it for only $6500 and its got a great stereo. Kinda want to turn around and sell it and make a profit right away. I'm not sure yet... I told that smug a$$hole of a salesman to stick it wear the sun doesn't shine. I actually told him I thought we had something special, but he didn't call me ... so I had to go with the next best thing, but because we had such great chemistry I was willing to pay him $3000 if he doesn't sell it in the next three months. Moral of the story... if anyone hears of a 3000 GT available anywhere on the west coast, I'd be really interested. Anywhere on the west heading east through.. maybe colorado.