Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

might buy an sl but need input?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Default RE: might buy an sl but need input?

I don't think I would mess with it. A lot of the time its just not worth the time. 3000GTs can get really expensive really fast. I would just try to find one that runs fine. Unless you really know what your getting into, don't buy a car that has a blown motor.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:29 PM

You can buy running SL's for that price.

The only one's I'd buy in non-running condition, are twin turbo's... if you know what you're getting into, and you know how to fix it yourself.

Otherwise, spend the extra money on a running car, that has been taken care of, and is up to date on maintenance, with records, etc. You don't want someone else's headache.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:12 PM

Hmmmm..... Eh, I just don't see buying a car with might miles on it and not knowing how it was treated. People can keep up with maintence and still beat a car right? If I threw a new engine in I'd know how it was treated. I was told that what happened to this car is comon with the GT's though...the bearings spin or something like that in climates with big shifts in temperature (happens in Buffalo for sure). If I got the engine from Osaka it is a good price and I might be able to pay a tech at work to do the work on the side.

I had an ex Mitsubishi service manager tell me that even if I don't put an engine in it that I should still be able to get more than a grand by parting it out. This true?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:10 AM

$1000 for a non turbo part out... maybe.

Remember though. You have to ship the items all over if you want to sell them.

money makers if in good to great condition

Rear hatch with glass.

Good condition fenders and front bumper

Shift boot and ****.

Window regulators

Whats wrong with the motor? the block might be worth 200 max.

Is the trans any good?

If the interior is spotless it might be worth it.

Its alot of work to part out a car. Not to mention you need alot of space for the parts.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 AM

I bought a 92 vr4 tt, for 500.00 but, it runs just has a lot of problems with it, I love the car it my first one but I would agree that the parts are pretty high....

Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: migthbuyagt

Hmmmm..... Eh, I just don't see buying a car with might miles on it and not knowing how it was treated. People can keep up with maintence and still beat a car right? If I threw a new engine in I'd know how it was treated. I was told that what happened to this car is comon with the GT's though...the bearings spin or something like that in climates with big shifts in temperature (happens in Buffalo for sure). If I got the engine from Osaka it is a good price and I might be able to pay a tech at work to do the work on the side.

I had an ex Mitsubishi service manager tell me that even if I don't put an engine in it that I should still be able to get more than a grand by parting it out. This true?
LOL Spun bearings have absolutely NOTHING to do with climate changes. Whoever told you that, was blowing smoke up your ***. :lol:

Bearings spin from dented oil pans (the oil pick-up tube sits very low in the pan. when it gets dented, usually due to bottoming out, running over speed bumps, etc, the pick-up tube can not suck in enough oil, and it starves the engine, causing the bearings to spin. That is the most common reason. Other reasons are neglect, abuse, over-revving, sheer stupidity, etc.

you'll be hard pressed to get a grand from parting that car out, especially since the engine is worthless. you're better off parting out wrecked cars, than ones with blown engines. The engines are the money makers.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Banned

My new partner in crime ^

Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM

Alrighty then. I'm still searching for a miraculous answer to finding a cheap engine and cheap install. If that can't happen than it looks like I probably won't take the car.

Just putting this out there, what about an 89 Supra Turbo (one turbo) with high miles for 4 grand. A guy I used to work with is selling it but I'll only offer 3 and he wont take it.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

I woudln't touch that with a 10ft pole

Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

I woudln't touch that with a 10ft pole
make that a 50 ft one for me.

Quick Reply: might buy an sl but need input?