Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Should i Get a VR4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Default RE: Should i Get a VR4?

thestealth is rite though. i remember that 1991 vr4 scarin me when my dad hit the gas hard. my 1993 is a great car with only 78k miles. even tho it's not a vr4, it still performs very well and hasn't given me any problems. i've been driving it since december of '06. if youre really interested in the vr4, then get the base or sl model to start with. i went with my base model cuz it was in the best shape i've seen on a 1993 car in a long time and the cloth interior was flawless! the sl's leather interior will start to crack and fade after awhile. especially if youre gettin in and out of the driver's side a lot. just make sure not to get a base model from 1997+. the engine was downsized to a sohc from the dohc, only giving it 160hp instead of 222 like mine. it's a good 1st car but it's up to u if ur ready for the vr4 or not.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Ok, so which is it, is it a good first car, or is it a bad first car; i've got 2 different answers........lol.

Myproblem with getting a SL, is when i get older, i may have wished i spent the extra 2K or so and gone for the VR4.

Do you guys think i could find a RX-8 for 14K?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:48 PM

is that yellow vr4 close to where you live? if it is then you have to go and inspect it. just cuz the car has been sitting for 4 years doesnt mean there cant be anything wrong with it. i know my car with the previous owner would sit every fall, winter, and part of spring. after i bought the car i noticed that there were cracks on the outer rim of the tires. so i had to get new ones. if the car is on the other side of the country then dont get it cuz even $10k is pretty cheap for a car that looks like it's in mint condition with low miles like that. you cant really ask others which car you should get. it's really your decision.youre either gonna get someone telling u to get a base or sl model just as a first car, or youre gonna get someone tellin you to go for the vr4 if youre parents are gonna pay for it anyways.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:08 PM

My personal opinion is if youre really dead-set on a 3000gt,you get either a base,or SL.If you just have to have the VR/4 id strongly suggest you research the insurance cost first.Get the VIN number of the car youre looking at,and ask the insurance company youre family uses what the cost will be.With fuel prices as high as they are already,Id personally stay away from any vehicle that requires premium fuel(which these do).If youre contemplating using mid grade,or regular,youll loose performance,and youre economy wont increase.Dont get me wrong, I loved my 96 3000gt sl,and have sold it only because ive become an old fart,and at 50 have a hard time pouring myself into/out of the car.The TT(Twin turbo) will be more maintenance intensive than the base/sl,but any of these require the owner to keep up with regular,and routine maintenance,otherwise the repair bill for a broken timing belt could easily top 5 grand.....whatever you do,If you get the VR4 be sure to get a service manual,either hardback,or on CD...[sm=goodidea.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9786/C34DC6E7E9FC43FFA260D76F24E6D0FC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: n5926g

My personal opinion is if youre really dead-set on a 3000gt,you get either a base,or SL.If you just have to have the VR/4 id strongly suggest you research the insurance cost first.Get the VIN number of the car youre looking at,and ask the insurance company youre family uses what the cost will be.With fuel prices as high as they are already,Id personally stay away from any vehicle that requires premium fuel(which these do).If youre contemplating using mid grade,or regular,youll loose performance,and youre economy wont increase.Dont get me wrong, I loved my 96 3000gt sl,and have sold it only because ive become an old fart,and at 50 have a hard time pouring myself into/out of the car.The TT(Twin turbo) will be more maintenance intensive than the base/sl,but any of these require the owner to keep up with regular,and routine maintenance,otherwise the repair bill for a broken timing belt could easily top 5 grand.....whatever you do,If you get the VR4 be sure to get a service manual,either hardback,or on CD...[sm=goodidea.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9786/C34DC6E7E9FC43FFA260D76F24E6D0FC.jpg[/IMG]
Excellent advice...

If you do opt for the TT never, ever run anything but premium. I think would be a bad decision as they DO require a fair amount of maintenance and if you can't do the work yourself, can become expensive and if you don't do the proper maintenance it will get VERY expensive.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:07 PM

why not just use the 14k and put a nice down payment on a new car. they dont have to be kept up as often as used cars especially not 93's.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:56 PM

I know this isn't a chevy forum, but someone suggested a newer camaro Z28as being reliable, good gas milage, and being very responsive to engine mods.....and having great HP.

....you guys have any experience or have you heard anything on them?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned

Sorry i have to add my .02 on this.

First off... DONT get that car. The 90-94 VR4 6G72 engine had bottom end problems and always spins the bearings. Extremely expensive to fix.

The fact that its 300hp dosent mean a thing.. its not going to be that fast becasue its heavy. Yes the insurance will be ****ty.. but who cares.

If you want something reliable and fast... then personally i would look for a DSM with a fully built forged motor running a 16g or something. DSMs arent typically your reliable cars... but the built ones are rock solid.. and they usually run about 10k... (only get a GSX)

As to the person that said the VR4 will give you more than an Eclipse will give you... your wrong... VERY wrong.

DONT get a new car. They will lose value as soon as you leave the lot. So dont do it unless you want to spend a retarded amount of money and lose a lot.

Also, dont get an RX-8. Gas mileage sucks and they are hard to work on. Not to mention you have to constantly fill them with oil and not a lot of mechanics know how to work on them.

Dont get a Z28 either. I went onto LS1 Tech because i wanted one too.. and the only ones that are around 12k... are the 2000ish models.. and they have tranny syncro problems etc... not to mention they arent all that fast anyway.

Im 16... im going to kiss my Aunts *** in hopes that she will buy me an Infinity G35 2003-04 with the bembo package and leather/nav.

Good luck

Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 AM

I went on another forum, and they said the camaro was quite reliable.......and how do you know they aren't that fast?

If a camaro is no good, and a VR4 is no good, and a RX-8 is no good,what is another car that has very good acceleration for 12-14K?

Sorry, stupid question but
tranny syncro problems
???

Old 03-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Banned

Nothingthat is fast in stock form for 10k ish... trust me.

The camaro has a decent motor.. strong as hell and well known. LS1 V8. (unless you mean the V6.. and in that case its a peice of ****) the problem is that the transmission has ****ty syncros.. basically it will start to grind between gears and soon the tranny will be junk. This is what the people at LS1 Tech told me... so. I wanted to know about the car and i went there lookin for some info.. and said i wanted to make it fast.. and i wanted to spend around 10k for the car... and thats what they said.

If you want something fast... my advice is an Eclipse GSX (95-99) with a fully forged motor running a 16g turbo. Thats usually about 350hp and all wheel drive. You can get those for about 7k usually...

Quick Reply: Should i Get a VR4?