Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Should i Get a VR4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:06 AM
Default RE: Should i Get a VR4?

Ya, lol, i'm not stupid.

I talked to some other people, and they actually said that camaros are very reliable, and the syncro problems are that big of a problem. They said modded DSMs can be somewhat sketchy because if the guy cut any corners on some parts, they may break, and that would kinda suck, and overall. They said the camaro would probably be a better choice if i'm worried about reliability..................idk........

Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Thanks!

Although being 16 i can kinda relate to the dude. You dont want your first car to be something you hate. You want it to be something you want.. and something you will love for the rest of your life. Getting to school and back is going to be important.. something unreliable isnt going to cut it... not to mention a beater is not a poon magnet.. and in h/s thats important.

Just get to know the car before you do anything crazy eh?
You wanna know whats actually crazy? it worked the other way round for me.... some girls actually liked my car (mostly cuz it was DEAD loud... broken muffler hahaha and cuz the b3 gti is fast for a tier 1 car) and i HATED mitsus for having everything up cramped in the engine bay... now i got rid of the rabbit and i miss it like ****, and love the eclipse at the same time (in fact im getting the 83 rabbit back, for like 200dlls i hope ^^) it was REALLLY unreliable... and i hated that at the time, but now im thankful for it and btw seems the kid is really going for in a camaro now haha

Old 03-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Banned

Bah depends who you are asking. If you are asking a redneck obviously he is going to give you a bias opinion.

I have been totally honest with you and have done my best to give both sides of the playing field.

The LS1 Camaros have extremely good engines... but the trannys suck. Thats a fact... coming from many poeple at LS1 Tech. Modded DSMs are only sketchy if the person is a ricer with a big *** wing and a fart can. This car was in no way built by a ricer. How can you cut corners on parts? They are all reputable companies that are well known.. and in fact some of them where on my moms GST... never one break.

If reliability is your main concern then yes... i think the camaro is slightly better. I say this only because they have good motors but junk transmissions. The interiors suck and is built poorly and they handle like ***... take my word for it.. driving a RWD car is extremely hard even with small amounts of power. Especially for your first car.

Think about it. That car has a race motor... that can withstand over 600hp... and its running half that. Not to mention it has a race transmission too.. so thats not likely to break either.

Honestly, the only way to find out exactly what you need to know about a car is ask someone that is familiar with them. Thats why i went to LS1 Tech and asked them. I have passed on the information word for word to you. What im trying to say is, some average guy is not going to be as well informed as someone that deals with these cars all the time.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Kaede.Noir

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Thanks!

Although being 16 i can kinda relate to the dude. You dont want your first car to be something you hate. You want it to be something you want.. and something you will love for the rest of your life. Getting to school and back is going to be important.. something unreliable isnt going to cut it... not to mention a beater is not a poon magnet.. and in h/s thats important.

Just get to know the car before you do anything crazy eh?
You wanna know whats actually crazy? it worked the other way round for me.... some girls actually liked my car (mostly cuz it was DEAD loud... broken muffler hahaha and cuz the b3 gti is fast for a tier 1 car) and i HATED mitsus for having everything up cramped in the engine bay... now i got rid of the rabbit and i miss it like ****, and love the eclipse at the same time (in fact im getting the 83 rabbit back, for like 200dlls i hope ^^) it was REALLLY unreliable... and i hated that at the time, but now im thankful for it and btw seems the kid is really going for in a camaro now haha
HAHAHAHA funny! Well, not my thing but if it works for you bro! lol.

Yeah he seems pretty set on the Camaro. I can only pass on what i know to be fact... and thats the facts. Its upto him.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:57 AM

Actually not set on anything, i'm just poking around for now; i don't want to get a car, then regret getting it later. The guy who i asked was on another forum, and he has a laser with the same setup as you suggested; so i think he would know about modded DSM......but your right, he probably wouldn't know as much about camaros other than hearing a lot of stuff about them.

I already know the camaro handles like crap; it is a typical American muscle car, what do you expect, lol.

Do you guys know of a good car forum that is for all types of cars? I need some more unbiased opinions.

OH ya, and do you have a link to the thread you made on the LS1 Tech forum?

Oh ya #2: Thanks for answering my questions!!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

Damn im sorry it was LS1.com... and no i cant find it for some reason.

Well maybe i wasnt being specific enough. The ones that have ****ty transmissions are the Manual Trans 98-2001 cars from what they told me. And those are the only ones that are around 10k ish... and the next step up is A LOT. Now, if you want to drive an automatic then go for it... those are a little better. Although... what ***** drives an automatic? Be a man!

They also told me the best way to make them fast is with nitrous... and if you dont want to do that...then its VERY expensive. Building a 10 second DSM is actually cheaper. (thats what they told me)

Well if he is a laser guy and knows his stuff he will be able to tell you exactly the same thing i have after he looks at that eBay listing.

I personally dont know of any car forums that specialize in all cars. If you really want to you can go around the forums sepseratly and make posts like this.

Im giving you a totally 100% fair and honest opinion. No bias here. Just fact.

Peace

Old 03-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Ya, don't want an automatic, lol.

Ok, so assuming (for now) that i'm going to be getting a modded DSM; what are some things that i need to watch out for maintenance wise? The reason i ask is that the other guy said modded DSMs are a bad car to neglect.......

Old 03-29-2007, 01:00 PM

Ill pitch in my nickels worth,As far as I know all DSMs are interferance engines,with the exception of I believe the 2.4 in the galant,Ive restored about 6 DSMs,including a turbo talon,a couple of eclipses,and two "normal" talons(all 4 bangers)..First, either be sure you know when the timing belt was replaced,or have it done as soon as you get the car.This will be an expense youll appreciate as time goes on.If possible get one with a Standard tranny,the automatics are pretty sluggish especially with a 2.0 pulling it.If the car you find has a 6 banger,i suspect it wont matter either way.If you get one that has the cold air intake,be careful in water,Two of the cars I got in the past had this mod,and had ingested water into the intake,took out the engine.The normal cold air intake mods ive seen put the filter really close to the ground,and I can see where it would be a problem.pay attention to cv boots,check for holes,and cracks etc.Dont know much about other mods,as I have in the past removed all the aftermarket stuff,and gone back oem.I have no issues with doing mods,just has been my experience in the past that OEM components seem to last longer,and reliability issues dont show up as often.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

I kinda agree with that. Although the one i posted has a Greddy Kevlar Timing belt.. that will last a long f-in time. And anything after 99 was not a DSM... so there are no 6 banger DSMs.

My advice is either get that one... or find one you like and run it through here and we will check it out.

Also, the turbo DSMs dont have cold air intakes.

When buying a car you should always do the following (maybe im missing a couple)

Check the oil (golden brown is good. If its black walk away)

Remove the oil cap and sniff it.. if it smells of gas walk away. Also look for a white "mayo" goop under it.. if that is there.. then walk away.

Check that there is no exhaust smoke... (a little black smoke under hard acceleration is normal)

Always ask for proof of the mods that have been done. Reciepts and shop invoices!

Ask when the timing belt was changed.

If the car has unusually low miles then take a look at the pedals and the shifter.. usually those are the best ways to tell if someone has rolled the clock back.

When test driving remember to go into ALL gears including reverse. And also go full throttle a few times to check the clutch holds well.

Push every tiny little button in the interior make sure everything works.

If you are lucky enough that you are able to get the car on a lift then check for any leaks in the transfer case and any leaks in the CV boots. Check for signs of previous oil leaks... like left overs.

Beware of extremely clean engine bays. That can sometimes mean that they are covering something up... but most of the time they are obsessed with keeping the car clean... (like me and EMonz).

Remember that cars with bodykits/big benches on the back have been driven by young kids like us.. and more than likely learned to drive on that car and drive like ****. So basically its a fair assumtion that the car has been beaten to ****. Stay away from cars with bodykits and all that gay crap.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:08 PM

Damn...couldnt have said it better myself[sm=exactly.gif]....what he said!

Quick Reply: Should i Get a VR4?