Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Should i Get a VR4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned
Default RE: Should i Get a VR4?

Ofcourse, they are not in the same class. So thats not comparing apples to apples.

Well man... there are rare instances in any situation. And this is one of them. I know so many that have spun bearings. If its not that common... then why do people swap out the bottom ends all the time?

I have seen a 92 VR4 that was owned by an old man... first owner and he hardly drove the car... new owner... drove it moderatly.. and within 2 weeks he spun a bearing.

I never had any mechanical problems with my GST... that dosent mean they are reliable.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 PM

...and that does not prove that 2-bolts are junk.

Look at the Stealth Emonz (I think) is selling for a friend. "Upgraded" to a 4-bolt and spun a bearing.
Who's to say really.

I will tell you what it boils down to; poor maintenance, poor tuning contribute to spun bearings more than anything, not block design.

My TT has almost 190k on it...stock 2-bolt bottom end.

One thing anyone in the market for these cars must remember, the oldest are 16 y/o and the newest are 8 y/o. Regular people don't maintain their cars as well as entusiasts, so when buying any used car, ask for maintenance records.

The main problem area with the 1st gens, is the capacitors Mitsu used in their electronics...it's not a matter of if the caps will fail, but a matter of when.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:06 PM

i'm with the stealth. i haven't had any problems with my 3000gt at all. and it looks a hell of a lot better then an eclipse, which by the way, everyone has! also, youre not gonna get a gsx running 5sec 0-60 times and 13sec 1/4 mile times like the vr4 does stock. you gotta put thousands of dollars into them to do that! what the hell's the point. and then youre gonna have to spend thousands of dollars on exterior parts to make an eclipse look better then a 3000gt. my newly painted red 1993 3000gt only has a spoiler as an exterior mod for now. and it looks a hell of a lot better and gets a hell of a lot more compliments then anything around. the only way youre goona have a 3000gt thats unreliable is if you don't treat it with respect and maintain it. i wud take a "dsm" over my car for anything in the world. and even though it might be heavy, a vr4 would take that eclipse s**t you call a sports car any day! a nicely maintain low miles gsx will cost you the same price as some vr4, but then you'll have to spend $7-$10k to get it to meet the performance levels of the 3000gt. by sebba comparing a vr4 to a gsx, it's like comparing an evo to a tiburon. a comaro is a good idea also because it's a lot easier and a whole lot cheaper to get some some insane horse power compared to imports. another car u cud check into is the 2002-2003 impreza wrx. they come with a good amount of horse power, awd, and subaru is a very reliable car. it's easy to mod them up and make the body look nice to with a kit and sti wing. look into it. it's a good car. also runs a 5.7 0-60 which isn't bad, but it's still better then the gsx. and you'll have room for friends, unlike the gsx, vr4 or comaro. look into it

Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

Aight i will admit im not as experianced as you might be in the VR4 world.

But lets get back to what the guy asked... are the 1st gen VR4s more reliable than a fully built DSM?

Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 PM

What kind of question is that?

If you are comparing a freshly built car to a car with XXX amount of miles and unknown history...probably so.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Well, its what the guy asked...

Old 03-31-2007, 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: 3000gtman

i'm with the stealth. i haven't had any problems with my 3000gt at all. and it looks a hell of a lot better then an eclipse, which by the way, everyone has! also, youre not gonna get a gsx running 5sec 0-60 times and 13sec 1/4 mile times like the vr4 does stock. you gotta put thousands of dollars into them to do that! what the hell's the point. and then youre gonna have to spend thousands of dollars on exterior parts to make an eclipse look better then a 3000gt. my newly painted red 1993 3000gt only has a spoiler as an exterior mod for now. and it looks a hell of a lot better and gets a hell of a lot more compliments then anything around. the only way youre goona have a 3000gt thats unreliable is if you don't treat it with respect and maintain it. i wud take a "dsm" over my car for anything in the world. and even though it might be heavy, a vr4 would take that eclipse s**t you call a sports car any day! a nicely maintain low miles gsx will cost you the same price as some vr4, but then you'll have to spend $7-$10k to get it to meet the performance levels of the 3000gt. by sebba comparing a vr4 to a gsx, it's like comparing an evo to a tiburon. a comaro is a good idea also because it's a lot easier and a whole lot cheaper to get some some insane horse power compared to imports. another car u cud check into is the 2002-2003 impreza wrx. they come with a good amount of horse power, awd, and subaru is a very reliable car. it's easy to mod them up and make the body look nice to with a kit and sti wing. look into it. it's a good car. also runs a 5.7 0-60 which isn't bad, but it's still better then the gsx. and you'll have room for friends, unlike the gsx, vr4 or comaro. look into it
Are you saying a heavy car with 300 HP can beat a car that has 400HP and is lighter? Assuming the GSX is lighter (it is right?)........

I'll admit that the VR4 is definitely better looking, but I'd prolly rather spend less money on a more reliable car with more HP.

Seems to me that VR4, 300HP, (heavy),12-14K, better looking< 400HP GSX (not so heavy) 7-8K, pretty good looking..........Just seems like a better deal IMO.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:55 AM

yea no sorry sebba but you WILL NOT find a reliable "400"hp DSM for 7-8grand...a stock GSX is hard enough to find in good shape.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:59 AM

and you really shouldnt get a real fast car for your first car dude...i mean i am 15 as well...ive been working for 5 year to save up for a car...and guess what? im getting a slow 3000gt sl most likely...my daddy isnt buying me a car but i dont need him too...i also know i dont need a fast car this young either.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:04 AM

Slow car ftw i still stand on my learning should be harsh line.... but give him a break, hahaha, and sebba as well... no fast car with the intention of making it faster or put it up through some violent use as speeding and racing will be a reliable car.... thats for sure

Quick Reply: Should i Get a VR4?