Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Default spark plugs?

im having a lot of trouble with my car right now and im not sure what exactly it is. i took it for a long drive this weekend about 1.5 hours of continuous driving to newark and back. and ive been noticing some problems. it feels like its misfiring and i know that can result in the spark plugs coming lose or just going bad, but then i let my boyfriend drive it home today ( the problem hasnt been that bad till he drove it home ) and he said it felt like it was shifting bad (jolting and sputtering). i noticed it as well, when he was going 50 or below it would rev itself up and shift.but also felt like it was misfiring on its own, as if it was struggling, but it didint die. it was really awkward. im hoping its not my TCM because i just had to replace that.. but other then that i have no idea. if anyone has any ideas on what it might be and how to fix it i would be very much appreciative. thanks.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Default RE: spark plugs?

What year and model is it?

Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 PM

1992 3000gt SL. automatic transmission

Old 10-31-2005, 07:27 PM

When was the last time you gave it a tune up? Plugs, wires, Air and fuel filter?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:24 PM

The 92 cars had the ECU or ECM some call it with the weak capasitors on the main computer board. The capasitors get old start leaking and they short the board with the electrolite they have in them. This can lead to studdering and missing. It can also lead to a compleat computer failure. If you have to have it rebuilt it will cost you $150-$250 dollars and they need a rebuildable core. If you buy a new one get ready to pay $1000-$1400 ouch! you can also get from www.3sxperformance.com the three capasitors to replace the old ones but you have to know how to solder a circuit board. The cost to do it yourself around $20.00 but the bench test is plug it back in to see if it works if not the car will be dead if the solder job is bad. the plugs could be bad also so while you are at www.3sxperformance.com see about a gasket set for the plennum so yhou can remove it and change the plugs. Use Iridium or NGK plugs the best you can buy platinum tip or the Iridium is even better but hard to find. expect to pay around $14.00 for each plug and thirty bucks for the gaskets. Heck why not get new plug wires while your at it good clean spark is goooooood!

Old 12-16-2005, 03:01 PM

lol. old issue now. i ended up taking it in, they said it was the transmission so i had it rebuilt, then it still did it, so they gave me the tranny rebuild for free...ended up being a bad connection. a wire went bad. sadly enough they had my car for 2 months before realizing this, but now almost everything is brand new since they replaced it trying to figure out the problem he he. got it back just last week and its running great, thanks for the help.