Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Default Tranny problem

Tranny Problem:
This is makes no sense at all, but the tranny in my 3000gt SL is to say the least not working correctly. The problem started 4 years ago when my dad was on his way to seattle. He was driving down the road and hit something along the lines of a 2x4. The car continued to function just fine until he got off the free way. When he proceded to pull away from the stop light the car refused to move. We towed the car home and took a look at it. Everything appeared fine no oil was missing...
we started the car up let it sit running for about a minute and drove away. Made it about 2 miles down the road and the car refused to move.

Basicly we can move the car when its cold, but as soon as it warms up a little it wont budge and i mean like it will not move 1 in. We have left it sit for 4 years because we just didnt have the time and money to get around to it.
So whats wrong with it? Any ideas? Anything i should do?

Im thinking about getting a motor from bc with ~36000 on it for 580us. Thats motor and tranny. Its not my car so i cant pud a manual in it like i want to.

Questions:
Do all Automatics from 3000gt's have Over Drive.
Quickly off hand do you guys now of a place i can get the full specs of the car.
Gear ratios, transmission ID's....

Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Default RE: Tranny problem

My first thought on this is transmission pan damage.If theres a dent in the pan in a bad place it could restrict the flow of fluid into the valve body.This might explain why it will work when cold,but not when warm,as things expand when warm....before I made things too complicated,Id buy a pan gasket,remove the pan,and inspect the innards....filter,valve body etc,and refill it should be about 7 quarts considering the torque converter holds a majority of the fluid...Ive not been into the automatic on the gt,but if the clearance between the bottom of the pan,and filter are close,any abnormality of this clearance could have an effect....Im not a transmission mechanic,but this scenerio can hold true on any automatic tranny.....[:@]