Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

2002 Diamante Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Default 2002 Diamante Oil Leak

I thought I just need to replace valve cover gasket. I replaced both front and rear valve cover gaskets. But oil leak still there. Smoke/burning smell coming from the hood. Leak is from rear passenger side. I read some threads that it was possibly due to a failed camshaft o ring? Or something else. Please help how to fix this oil leak. Do I have to open rear valve cover again? There is not much space at back of the engine block.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:18 AM

Ya, I bet it is leaking from one, or both of the cam shaft plugs. Get a head gasket set (that should have all the gaskets for the heads. I have used RTV on all the cam shaft plugs. That has helped to seal it a lot longer. I hope that helps.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by joyrock
Ya, I bet it is leaking from one, or both of the cam shaft plugs. Get a head gasket set (that should have all the gaskets for the heads. I have used RTV on all the cam shaft plugs. That has helped to seal it a lot longer. I hope that helps.

Camshaft plugs? Is that the one with two bolts on? Can you tell how to replace it? Do I have to open the valve cover? Or I have to work under the car? Thanks.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 PM

Is your 3.5 a SOHC or a DOHC? If it is a SOHC, it will have two plugs (round black/brown colored hard rubber disk) on the back side (the flywheel side, the non-timing belt side) . one on each bank. If it is DOHC, it will have four plugs, two per bank. Te replace them, most of the time, you should be able to pull it out. And push in the new ones. A hammer, and a wooden rod, about the same size as the plug. I usually coat the out side ring with RTV (black works well). And then drive it in. Trying not to push it in to far. Flush is just about right.

The other way, is to pull the valve cover off, and on the end with out the gears. There should be two bolts that hold on the end of the cam shafts. You should be able to remove them. And that is the other way to remove the plugs. Then, again coat the out side of the new plug with RTV, and push in the new plug. And reinstall the cam shaft end holder (don't know what they call it). And then reinstall the valve cover.

I know there is not much room to work in there. Both ways are not that easy. The easiest way to do it, is with the engine out of the car. A lot more room to work around. I hope that works for you.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by joyrock
Is your 3.5 a SOHC or a DOHC? If it is a SOHC, it will have two plugs (round black/brown colored hard rubber disk) on the back side (the flywheel side, the non-timing belt side) . one on each bank......The other way, is to pull the valve cover off, and on the end with out the gears. There should be two bolts that hold on the end of the cam shafts. You should be able to remove them. And that is the other way to remove the plugs. Then, again coat the out side of the new plug with RTV, and push in the new plug. And reinstall the cam shaft end holder (don't know what they call it). And then reinstall the valve cover.

I know there is not much room to work in there. Both ways are not that easy. The easiest way to do it, is with the engine out of the car. A lot more room to work around. I hope that works for you.

It is 3.5 SOHC. I opened valve cover again. And attach a picture here. Can you tell me where to locate two camshaft plugs so to replace both o-rings? I hate to work under the car. Really appreciate your help.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Diamante Oil Leak-imag0921.jpg  
Old 06-21-2015, 07:12 PM

Ok, you have that engine. It looks like that is going to be a one hard to do. The two photos i dug up on the internet. I wish I had one to photograph. I hope this helps. I'm kinda shocked that nobody else piped up, well not really. I would also put black RTV on the o-rings on the back cam plugs, that will help. I hope that helps.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Diamante Oil Leak-montero6g74sohc.jpg   2002 Diamante Oil Leak-dsc1709-mitsubishi-35l-flex-plate-backing-plate.jpg