Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Crankshaft/Camshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 AM
Default Crankshaft/Camshaft position sensor

My service engine light came on yesterday on my 99 Diamante. I stopped at Autozone to have them pull the code. It came back with two codes, crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor. I can't find a camshaft position sensor available for my car online at any of the big names. Does my car have one? Is it in the distributor? Why would the code be thrown if there is no camshaft sensor? Also, I am under the assumption that if it is indeed the crank position sensor that the car would run rougher. I have no noticeable change in performance at all. With all that said, I plan on changing the crank sensor out myself, though I'm not certain that I know where it is. Is there any other routine maintenance jobs I should perform while I'm in there?

Last edited by Johnboy13; 05-31-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned

The camshaft position sensor is internal to the distributor. It is not available as a separate part. You have to replace the entire distributor.

The crankshaft position sensor is behind the gear on the crankshaft that drives the timing belt. To get to it, you remove the drive belts, crankshaft pulley and lower timing belt cover. If you are going to go that far, and you timing belt has been in there for 60,000 miles or more, you should go ahead and replace the timing belt, related pulleys and tensioner, and camshaft seals.

Before you do anything, what were the exact codes? Double-check the codes at http://www.obd-codes.com/ to be sure Autozone got it right.

A timing belt change, or even getting to the crankshaft sensor, requires following proper procedures and torques. Do not try it without the Mitsubishi Diamante service manual. If you don't have the Diamante factory service manual, I recommend downloading the ISO file from http://www.lisho.net/files/magnaworkshop.iso and burning it to a CD, then using the CD to install the manual. Once installed, go to the TJ/KJ section. It should correspond to your Diamante, though torque measurements are metric.