Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Diamante Radio Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Default Diamante Radio Removal

Hi, Ive seen one thread with directions on how to remove the radio, and no pictures whatsoever. So I took some pictures when I removed my radio out of my 1993 Diamante ES. They are very large photos, in size and volume, so I will just link the pictures to my webserver with this link: http://www.blunted.us/diamante/radio/
You start off by taking out 4 screws on the sides of the center console, you will have to move the seats forward and back to view them, theres 2 right under the center consoles cubby hole. Then 2 others by the gear selector ( on the sides of console ), the screws are black so they can be tricky to locate at first glance.

Then take a plastic pry, or small thin flathead screwdriver, and carefully ( plastic will mar and scratch easily!! ) pry out the change holder, and you will see down in there 2 shiny screws, take them out, then you can carefully remove the console, it needs to slide backwards some to release from these dowl type pieces on the side.

Then you can take out 2 screws that hold the ashtray in, I broke a small screw off the ashtray lid taking it out, so be careful, also theres 3 wires attached to the ashtray, 2 going to the cigarette lighter, and one is a light to the ashtray.

Now your ready to remove the wood grain trim from around the radio unit! Careful with this too!! It needs to pull off the radio some, and slide downwards, be patient it will come off.

Now it should be clear as day to take out the 4 screws holding in the radio!

Dont forget to unplug the wires from back!!!!

PS: Ill try to make a update of how I put my DVD/MP3 Flip-Out TFT screen in, and how I cleared the gear shifter and/or drink holder.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM

I just did it. there was a YouTube Video of a similar car different Mitsubishi model that covers 99% of it.

The big trick I had was how to pull the ashtray out. I wanted to be sure since it felt like the ashtray was going to break (if it had screws in it) but it did not. When I saw the video, the guy just pulls it straight back out. Metal springy clips hold it in.

So you just pull the top air vent section off, then there are two phillips crews up there and you do the stuff in the video to pull the console palstic wood grain faceplate off down by the transmission shifter. Then you pull the ashtray out and the remaining two phillips screws are right there.

Check this video for reference: