Mitsubishi Eclipse & Eclipse Spyder For years, the Eclipse line has stood for cutting edge styling and performance at an affordable price.

Eclipse 2.4 starts but immediately stalls

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Default Eclipse 2.4 starts but immediately stalls

First off thank you to who ever reads this and provides any advice. So here's the story I have a 07 eclipse 2.4 that even with 180 thousand miles ran beautifully!! Until the timing belt and balanacer belt shredded. I replaced both only to realize, which I'm sure u already guessed, i bent some valves. Being the hands on (aka broke) guy that u am I dug right in and ripped it apart and sure enough all the exhaust valves were bent to ****. Figured I'd replace all the valves since I was already there. I also replaced the valves seaters and obviously new gaskets and new head bolts. Also during the break down I broke the engine timing solenoid (its the one right above head bolt #9 (or the top right corner). I replaced it with one I got at a U-pull place. I put it all back together turn the key and it starts!!!! But my excitement didn't last long cause it quickly stalled. I tried about 10 more times and each time it will start but as quickly as it starts it dies out. Even weirder, to me, is that if I try and rev it up real quick it actually does out quicker. Same if I have the peddle down as I'm starting it, it'll still start but it actually does out even quicker. I'm at a loss right now, the only other action I can think of is to adjust the valves. Which I know I should do after all this work but I'm not thinking this will solve anything. It's my understanding that the car would still start but just sound bad (a lot of tapping noise) or run terrible, but run none the less. Im turning here cause maybe I missed something I was suppose to do with the fuel line or something. So please if anyone has any ideas, suggestions and/or tips as to my next course of action to troubleshoot or solve this I'd greatly appreciate it. It's been like 4 weeks now and I miss driving my car, really thought today was gonna be the day.